Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By Ngneer2111
Cases, check. Primers, check. Powder, check. Bullets, no go!!!!
I'm having no luck finding 9mm or .380ACP bullets. I'm thinking about buying a lead mold from MidwayUSA. They are advertising a six cavity mold that does a bullet that can be used for 9mm and .380ACP.

Anybody have any experience with molding their own. I've molded lead heads and sinkers for fishing and I'm guessing it can't be much different. Besides if the SHTF, I'm thinking that's on less item I need to find.

Anyone have any experience molding your own. More importantly, does one mold for 9mm and .380ACP sound like a good idea???

I'm hoping some of you more experienced reloaders can point me in the right direction.
By JohnFH
I cast most of my own bullets, I probably wouldn't try and use the same bullet for 9mm and 380.

In my experience getting the best qualilty sizing dies and molds goes a long way to a quality bullet.

I will not use the Lee tumble lube bullets, nothing but problems.

I'm getting my best results with Lyman and RCBS molds and dies, Lyman lubes seem to work best also
By CTSixshot
accuratereloading.com or northeastshooters.com and the other ct gun board.
I think there's some 125gr LRN up for sale now; a fella in Monroe. (I'll take a portion, if you don't want all 1200 plus).
Casting is a great means of controlling your bullet supply, but it's quite labor and equipment-intensive. Unless you just want to do it, buy commercial product for as little as most charge. Try AGW in Goshen. He has about the best supply of cast fodder that I've seen at most shops locally.
I'd second the tumble-lube comment from JohnH. It does eliminate the need for some gear, but it's an inferior system in my book. Lee makes simple bullet sizers that go right on your regular press, just like a sizer/decap or seating die. You can use the cake method of lubing, but having the lube-sizer makes it ideal.
BTW, I do most of my reloading down in Branford. My lubri-sizer is set-up for some limited casting that I just did, if you want to have a look. It's the older model Lyman, however.
By jerryd
Try bsbullets.com
By sjcolwell2
I use the lee molds and tumble lube them, for 9mm 38/ 357 45 colt and 45 ACP. Never had a problem, Just gotta get your temp right when u cast. I resize with the lee resizing dies as well. I've run at least 1500 rounds of nine with out a single huck-up. No leading at all.
By sjcolwell2
Check Montana Gold Bullets daily. they have had a few things in stock but are limiting orders to 1000 heads. last week they had 38 special heads. I haven't checked this week yet.
By Ngneer2111
Thanks!!! Lots of good info. Maybe I'll place an order from rmr. I like that they take PayPal.
By newguy
I went to Cabelas last night it was a ghost town. Reloading section had like one box of this one box of that and HUGE holes with nothing. Couldn't find a single box of 45 acp heads. They had IMR 3031 powder Titegroup and Trailboss but that was it.
By CTSixshot
Are they charging similar prices for a 9 ounce cannister of Trail Boss as for other 16 ounce cannisters? I know one place that is doing thus...
By newguy
Not sure of the prices since Cabelas never puts price stickers on the powder bottles
By CTSixshot
Looked at their website and couldn't even find Trail Boss. Their prices , the ones listed, aren't any better than what I'm finding at Ron's or Silver City and these shops are much more accessible to me, so my choice is clear...

...oh! This is somewhat astray, but Silver City did have some .25 caliber bullets (one baggie of 100) and several boxes of .410" HP-XTPs ($24.98 each).
By CTSixshot
Ngneer2111 wrote:I'm thinking about buying a lead mold from MidwayUSA. They are advertising a six cavity mold that does a bullet that can be used for 9mm and .380ACP...

... More importantly, does one mold for 9mm and .380ACP sound like a good idea???
Did you read the comments on the following 100 grainer?
http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/product. ... egoryId=16

Heck, I'd even split an order were you so inclined to get them.

??? This offer does not extend into perpetuity...
By Ngneer2111
CTSixshot wrote:
Ngneer2111 wrote:I'm thinking about buying a lead mold from MidwayUSA. They are advertising a six cavity mold that does a bullet that can be used for 9mm and .380ACP...

... More importantly, does one mold for 9mm and .380ACP sound like a good idea???
Did you read the comments on the following 100 grainer?
http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/product. ... egoryId=16

Heck, I'd even split an order were you so inclined to get them.

??? This offer does not extend into perpetuity...
I just saw your post. Thanks for the info!! I just placed my order.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!