Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By myglimk2
Going to try this reloading thing again. This time on a little bit of a smaller scale.

Just ordered the Lee hand loader press, Lee .38/.357 3-piece carbide die set. Still need to get a caliper to measure lengths and what not. A scale may not be a bad idea also! :lol:

Then the choir of finding primers, powder, and bullets! :roll:

I figure I shoot a good amount of .38spl so it should pay off to just reload my own stuff and play with custom loads. Don't need to load anything hot since it is just practice stuff. I have a good amount of factory +p's and .357mags for SHTF. :twisted:
By myglimk2
Forgot to ask.

What powder and load data, bullet weight, seating depth etc. would be good for my needs?

Thanks guys!
By myglimk2
Any place online or local that have components in stock?
By CTSixshot
Get a reloading manual or, at the very least, the freebie load manuals from most of the powder companies. Hodgdon's latest manual is at Grouse Perch, I know; probably other places, too.
They don't necessarily cover every bullet available, but they will get you started. If you find the Hornady 148gr LHBWC (good luck finding any bullets) you can use 2.0 grains of IMR Trail Boss and load about 1968 rounds per 9 oz cannister. TB was on the shelf at Silver City Sporting Arms last week...
...you might want to call Autumn Gun Works. They usually have the best supply of cast bullets. Jacketed fodder will be pricier, if you can even find it. Best to swap with other reloaders or deal with sites like accuratereloading.com and others (as long as no one steals the mail!).
By myglimk2
Hmm, I'll have to see what powders I can come across.
By CTSixshot
Hodgdon Clays can do 1575 rounds of the HBWC at 2.5 grains. Or 1125 rounds with a 125gr LRN with 3.5 grains of Clays. Old Saybrook Wal-Mart even carries Clays, Unique and Red Dot, but not in stock these days, sorry.
You'll just have to be patient and flexible. Likely you'll have to grab any listed powder that you can find until things settle down.
I've got several .38 caliber molds, but I don't plan on casting anytime soon. Also have a few 9mm molds (125gr LRN and TC) that drop big enough to size properly for .358"
Last edited by CTSixshot on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By myglimk2
That's what I am afraid of. :(

I should have looked into this option before all this crap started...
By CTSixshot
Well, just keep your eyes open and do the best you can. I should have bought a couple CZ-52's before BHO even became the Dem. Presidential candidate, but I didn't. What are you going to do...

On reloading .38 Special... be mindful that the case capacity relative to the recommended powder charge is way out of proportion. IOW, you could easily double, triple, quadruple and more the charge and still barely notice (unless you're looking directly into the case with a decent light source). That small charge of Clays could be added about 7 times before the case overflows. What I'm getting at is that you could easily overcharge a .38 Special or miss a charge and not even notice. Either situation might be hazardous to your health.
You may also want to procure a taper crimp die, since a roll crimp (usually machined into the seating die) isn't always desired/required. When using the HBWC (any cast bullet really), you'll want to flare the case mouth enough to allow decent bullet lead-in and to eliminate any lead shaving from the bullet. The taper crimp die returns the flare back to normal dimension and aids in obtaining uniform grip tension.
By MessEleven
I use this for shotshell. Click on the Reloading Data Center, select Cartridge Loads and then use the pull-down menus. Made it easy for me as a total newbie to reloading.

http://hodgdon.com/
By SR9
My, you will find reloading a fun and satisfying thing to do not to mention having ammo to shoot.

Just made my first batch of 9mm after tweaking my recipe and will run it in several of my guns in a week or 2. Also, just bought some once fired 38 special brass from a forum member to add to what I have saved. Will start on 38s soon if I can ever get free of all the stuff going on at home.

I have been using the speer #14 and hornady manuals for starting loads. Being a first time loader I spent a significant amount of time getting to know the equipment and making everything consistent.

I will check with a friend on what powder he has and let you know. A couple of months ago I was able to get Unique and W231 from him.
By myglimk2
Thanks for all the insight guys! Really looking forward to getting started! :D
By sjcolwell2
also check out the Lyman Manual . I seem to like that one. Casting is the way to go once your up and running. I cast for 9mm , 38/ 357, 40 s&w , 45 acp and colt, 7.62x54 and 30-30. saves you tons. 9mm cost me 2.22 per 50
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!