Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By SR9
I finally got everything set up and working. Put together 5 rounds of each load and all fired as planned and and pretty close to what I was expecting.

Started with S&S Hard Cast 124gr over Unique.

4.0gr average velocity - 959fps
4.2gr average velocity - 989fps

Test conditions :

Gun - SR9
Temp - 50F
Distance to crono - 10ft
By CTSixshot
Feels quite satisfying, huh?
By SR9
Yes, it sure does. I will bump up one more step on this bullet then move on to several others I have.

It was interesting to see the velocity vary a little with OAL. I had some MFS head stamp mixed in with Blazer brass and they measured a bit longer on OAL. I just might start separating by head stamp but not sure it is worth the trouble since these are just range/practice rounds.

I was thinking of making 25 in each load just to see how they group. Think there will be much difference?
By CTSixshot
Probably isn't worth the effort, but you could find many other less worthy tasks for your time, I suppose.
Seperating headstamps will aid in consistency, but you'll likely find variations even among the same brand of brass. You have to determine how technical you want to get. Some weigh bullets and load only those within a fraction of a grain. In my experience, my ammo will outshoot me, so I don't get too critical especially with range/plinking ammo.
Just watch for some NATO headstamps that may be berdan primed. Spare your decapping pin!
By SR9
That is what I was thinking. It is not like I am making match ammo, it is just for practice.

Time will be better spent working on loads for my other stock.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!