Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By MessEleven
I'm noodling the idea of reloading shotgun ammo after the first of the year, and would rather not pay the hazmat charges for an online purchase of powder and primers. Does anyone have a preference on local shops? I was in Hoffman's and Cabelas over the weekend, but it seemed they only had small quantities (1 lb vs. 8 lb.) of Winchester AA Lite Smokeless Powder.
By MessEleven
GixerJockey wrote:Center Sports has always catered to shot shell reloaders. I know I've see multiple types of poweder in stock in large containers. They always have tons of wads, primers, and shot as well.

https://plus.google.com/112363104348051 ... 2584/about
Looks like a good source, G...but I was hoping to find something a little closer to home, west of Hartford. I'm in Southbury, and Cabelas / Riverview are usually my outer limits. Guess I should have said that in the original post.

Any thoughts on this part of the world?
By CTSixshot
That's the way it is.
Unless you get in on a group mail-order (perhaps happening shortly), you'll rarely find a decent source within walking distance.
By Mopar
MessEleven, the club you belong to does group buys for members, and also usually stocks shotgun reloading components. Talk to Nick P.
By MessEleven
Mopar wrote:MessEleven, the club you belong to does group buys for members, and also usually stocks shotgun reloading components. Talk to Nick P.
No kidding! I knew they had a limited supply of shot, but had no idea on the powder, etc...what a GREAT heads up! Will I have to wait until a group of guys wants to join in on a purchase?

Thanks, C!
By Mopar
Depends on if he has it already or not. It used to be we had to wait until we had a HUGE order (like a whole pallet), so it would often take 3-4 months, but I think Nick has been going through other sources lately for smaller orders.
By GreggAndrews
Truth be told, I'm still knocking the idea around to load shotshells, but I just can't find a reason to... just from the cost savings point of view.

You save so little with stuff like shot (unless you cast your own slugs!!!) that it's almost not worth your time & start up costs.

That's just my opinion on shotshell reloading.
By Mopar
depends on what/howmuch you shoot. Lots of clays shooters shoot several hundred rounds a week. Have you priced 200 rounds of .410?
By GreggAndrews
Mopar wrote:depends on what/howmuch you shoot. Lots of clays shooters shoot several hundred rounds a week. Have you priced 200 rounds of .410?
Actually, I can understand loading .410'' (.410'' & 28ga. are PRICEY!).

Otherwise... eh. 12 & 20ga. trap loads are cheap enough. To make up the money on your equipment & components, you had better shoot a hell of a lot!!!
By CTSixshot
My brother figures that shot is the costliest part of the equation. He loads his 12g with a 7/8-ounce load versus the common 1 1/8-ounce load, that's 1/4 ounce saved per shell.
So, a box of 25 shells means enough shot for 7 more loads.
If you did a 3/4-ounce load, even more so. Going to a #8-1/2 or #9 shot gives you more pellets than the typical 1-1/8 load of #7, I believe. He counted them, I didn't.
By Mopar
CTSixshot wrote:My brother figures that shot is the costliest part of the equation. He loads his 12g with a 7/8-ounce load versus the common 1 1/8-ounce load, that's 1/4 ounce saved per shell.
So, a box of 25 shells means enough shot for 7 more loads.
That's a pretty common thing to do among trap shooters.
And GreggAndrews, don't forget, just like with reloading rifle or pistol, there are other reasons besides cost. Some reload shotgun for accuracy, consistency, or comfort. Just like with metallic.
Remember, hunters may only fire a few rounds all day. Maybe a box all year. A trap/skeet shooter can blow though 75 rounds or more in 2hrs, and thousands, maybe even 10's of thousands in a year. Factory full powered shells are hard on semiauto actions, and hard on your shoulder in a single or double barrel. Dropping a few grains of powder and a few pellets makes it a lot more enjoyable to shoot, and less wear and tear on the gun. Think target loads vs +p in a handgun.
By CTSixshot
Mopar wrote:... Dropping a few grains of powder and a few pellets makes it a lot more enjoyable to shoot, ...
The other day I was shooting some assorted factory loads, #4 and #6 and I have to tell you, my cheekbones were getting sore!
By MessEleven
As Mopar said, it's not just about the cost...although three of us shoot trap weekly, so it adds up pretty quick. It's also about adding just another fun element to the sport, and the ability to control loads more consistently. For example, my wife shoots lighter loads than me and my daughter, and it's not always possible to find the light shells (or on sale for that matter.)
By CTSixshot
FWIW, CCI small/large pistol and small/large rifle primers on the shelf at OSB Wal-Mart this AM. Common caliber ammo pretty bare.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!