Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By SR9
Re-loaders out there, do you think it is worth saving surplus brass 7.62x25? I have some Bulgarian and noticed a number of cases had split about 1/4 inch on the neck end.

I ask because I have been saving other calibers(new once fired) with the intention to get into re-loading in the future.
By Mopar
Yes, save it......for scrap metal.
Most European surplus ammo uses Berdan style primers. Not totally impossible to reload, but generally not worth the time, effort, and expense.

I'm serious about still saving it though. Once you start reloading you will get to the point where the brass you are using is not safe to reload any more. Crush 'em so they take up less space and start collecting a 5gal bucket. When it's full take it to the scrap metal place and exchange it for money to buy more reloading stuff.
By newguy
Ya that what i been doing with all my berdan stuff especially the large rifle cases. Even 100 large caliber rifle cases can make ya a couple bucks scrap
By Mopar
Right now I actually sort and save most berdan stuff. While it's not economically feasible to reload it right now, that can always change in the future, and if I can't get boxer brass the berdan stuff will be worth more to me then scap.
However, that Bulgarian 7.62x25 brass SR9 has is 50-60+yrs old now. Couple that with a VERY hot charge of corrosive powder, and IMNHO none of it is safe to reload.
By newguy
Tell ya one thing i looked into that 60 dollar berdan decapping tool from RCBS and watched the video of the guy using it. Everytime he was using that claw thing he almost ripped off his thumb nail. I am good with that I like my fingernails in tack :lol:

Btw these guys have the primers. But for the price plus the hazmat charge not worth it.

http://www.dagammo.com/shop/?main_page=index&cPath=7
By CTSixshot
Spend a few extra bucks and procure the S&B or other boxer-primed brass ammo. It's not very sensible to expect 60 year-old brass to handle hi-pressure reloads, even if you could find small pistol berdan primers. I don't know of anyone that offers them in the USA (the ones linked to above are large rifle).
As to the RCBS tool, it does work, but it's not 100%. It is rather pricey for what it is, but unless you have other means to make something equally as effective, it's about all that's out there. Water works as an alternative with a .30 cal Lee decapper (sans pin). Personally, I haven't attempted hydraulic decapping of berdan-primed 7.62x25, since primers are just not readily available. Steel-cased .30 Carbine decaps very easily, but again...where do you get SRB's?
I'd think the 7.62x25 in a CZ52 would be a great test-bed for sabot loads...
... at 3000 + fps!
No, this isn't 7.62x25, but you get the idea, right? (7.5x55; buy these at Hoffman's!)
Last edited by CTSixshot on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CTSixshot
How fast do you think these will go?
18 grain plastic riot bullets.
By GreggAndrews
CTSixshot wrote:How fast do you think these will go?
18 grain plastic riot bullets.
These would be kickass bunny busters out of a Tokarev :)
By CTSixshot
Yup! They seem to fly true out of a rifle, but I haven't pushed them to extremes...no chrony to do any serious velocity tests.

Can't say I've done much firing beyond 100 yards (limited to 400 feet at the folk's place in N.S.), but they print like a stabilized bullet and hit where aimed (as good as I can manage anyways)!

Here's some data on 7.62x25 reloads, such as it is:
http://www.makarov.com/tokloaddata.html
Last edited by CTSixshot on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By MadSmith
For shits and giggles, I drilled out the spent berdan primer on the lathe and bored it to accept a press-fit 209 shotgun primer with the rim countersunk into the base so it remains flush. Then used 80% of the powder load from an unfired Polish military surplus round and also its bullet.

It shot out of a Tokarev in a vise using a pull string, and I couldn't find any apparent problems with the ejected cartridge or the gun.

It seemed like a pretty straightforward idea - convert berdan primed brass into cheap and easily available 209 priming. Was a bear to remove the spent 209 primer though. Had to use a center punch and a hammer.
By CTSixshot
I suppose, but with boxer-primed brass commonly available, all that work would be solely for the sheer enjoyment of dickering around, I'd think.
Whatever floats you boat....
By MadSmith
CTSixshot wrote:I suppose, but with boxer-primed brass commonly available, all that work would be solely for the sheer enjoyment of dickering around, I'd think.
Whatever floats you boat....
Indeed. Some people play golf, or fish, or build model airplanes or miniature railroad sets. I enjoy dickering around with dumb ideas like this. :)

It's something of a proof-of-concept for reusing expensive hard-to-find rifle brass that is unavailable with boxer priming.
By CTSixshot
Yes, I hear that. That's why I reload all of my GP-11 and even many berdan-primed 8mm, .303 Brit and 7.62 NATO & 39 and these aren't even hard to find with boxer primers. Just because I can.
By SR9
Mopar wrote:Yes, save it......for scrap metal.
Most European surplus ammo uses Berdan style primers. Not totally impossible to reload, but generally not worth the time, effort, and expense.

I'm serious about still saving it though. Once you start reloading you will get to the point where the brass you are using is not safe to reload any more. Crush 'em so they take up less space and start collecting a 5gal bucket. When it's full take it to the scrap metal place and exchange it for money to buy more reloading stuff.
Ok, that was my first thought when I was looking over the fired cases. Good idea on saving them for scrap. I have been saving all my center fire brass. Looks like I will sort them and collect the nasty ones for recycle.

Thanks, interesting discussion.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!