Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
I have a question some books say you can use standard small rifle primers for 223 in a semi auto and some say to use Magnum just wanted to know if anyone has any experience loading 223 for a AR and what they would recommend thanks.
By JohnFH
I use small rifle primers
By newguy
Thanks I have small rifle primers didn't wanna have to go out and buy magnums
By Mike_Diako
All I have ever used is standard small rifle primers.
By newguy
While I am on the 223 questions crimp or light crimp or no crimp. Some say some kind of crimp is needed for semi autos some say don't bother
By CTSixshot
I believe the Winchester primers say "standard or magnum" on the box, so they should cover all loads. Typically the ball powders may call for magnum primers (W748, BL-C2, 2400), but you'll do just fine with standard rifle primers, even with those loads.
By JohnFH
I don't crimp any rifle loads
By GreggAndrews
didn't wanna have to go out and buy magnums
I hate having to do that too. :wink:
By Mopar
There is a small concern that some brands of standard SR primers may be too soft for use in an AR15 or other semi-auto with a free floating firing pin and may cause a slam-fire.
Specifically Federal and CCI will tell you not to use their standard primers and they both make harder/less sensitive milspec primers for ARs. Winchester on one hand says their standard primers are fine, but on the other admits they dont use them on military ammo they produce.
In all honestly as long as the primer is seated slightly below flush you should be fine with just about anything, but if you want to play it safe you can go with milspec primers or magnums. If the only use you have for small rifle primers is .223 in an AR, there really isnt any reason not to use the milspec primers if you can find them.
By newguy
I am going to use them in a Saiga 223 and AR15. Not me but friends of mine only reason I am reloading this is for others. So I guess i will have them try them with Winchester small rifle primers that I have and if they work ok then i will have them get more if not i will have them buy milspec ones. I am not making any cash on reloading these just doing them a favor but i wanna make sure they work ok or wouldn't be a favor lol
By CTSixshot
Don't worry about it, you'll not make much profit on any reloaded ammo. Unless you're making specialty niche ammo, you'll be hard-pressed to make worthwhile margins on most of the common calibers.
Reload for your own satisfaction...
By sjcolwell2
I factory crimp all my 223 ammo.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!