Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By GixerJockey
Oh... CTsixshot... Can you take a look in your Lyman book and give me a load range? I can't find much online and can't find my Lyman book...

9MM
125 gr. round nose hard cast lead
Bullseye...

I'm seeing load data ranging from 3.8gr all the way to 5.2 gr. And knowing the characteristics of B/E... I don't trust that range. I don't want to play the guessing game with a powder like B/E. 5.2 seems incredibly hot. And where I saw the 3.8, the author suggested starting at least .2 below that. And that one seems a little light. I plan to do a range of test loads before I decide, but I don't trust the ranges I'm seeing. I want to stretch a lb of B/E as far as I can and keep recoil to a minimum while reliably cycling all of my 9mm pistols. The choice of running Bullseye is because I can stretch a pound and use it for 9, .45, .38sp and .357.
By JohnFH
My notes for B/E and 125 gr 9mm lead are from 3.0 to 3.8 as max and a little star next to 3.8 that says too hot.

I don't use any more than 4.2 for 45 loads, usually less unless I need PF
By newguy
my Lyman book says
3.4gr start
4.2gr max

COL 1.065
By Mopar
Might as well just hang on to the sp 45s, they are going to become more common. Those are the "non-toxic" primers. It seems they are only making the small primers in the NT formulation, and industry is gradually consolidating down to just the one primer size as they switch over to the nt primers. It's a PITA right now, but in the end it will be easier for both the manufacturers and us reloaders to only have to stock and set up for one size primer.
By newguy
Only issue with that is then i will have to go out and buy small primer stuff for progressive press the 45acp kit only comes with large primer arm
By GixerJockey
JohnFH wrote:My notes for B/E and 125 gr 9mm lead are from 3.0 to 3.8 as max and a little star next to 3.8 that says too hot.

I don't use any more than 4.2 for 45 loads, usually less unless I need PF
Perfect... Thanks John. That's more of what my gut was telling me. I think I'll run some test batches at 3.0, 3.2, and 3.4. Whatever one cycles all 6 of my 9mm pistols is going to be the winner.
By CTSixshot
All I have in front of me at the moment is the Lyman 1973 edition (newer data already given above):
Lyman #356402 (truncated cone at 1.088") and #358242 (round nose at 1.045"); both listed as 121 grs (#2 alloy): Both listed at 3.7 gr. to 4.4 gr. Bullseye.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!