Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
Just wondering if anyone has used them and if they give you alot of leading or not thinking about getting a box of 500 of there 230gr round nose
By CTSixshot
I'll bet you could find a local shop with some older Carroll Bullets stashed in a dusty corner. Considering freight, you might do just as well.
I know John's Firearms (Torrington) had some, but that was years ago.
At .45 ACP velocities and pressures, I doubt you'll notice any difference between any cast bullet manufacturers product.
Maybe JohnFH will cast an extra 100 of his 200 grainers for you to try. If any gun has issues with a bullet profile, it's likely to be a shouldered SWC. If they function in your .45, most others should be good to go.

FWIW, I have these molds, but I don't know when I'll get back into casting:
http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-452-230tc.html

By newguy
Rock Island recommends no Wadcutters only round nose in there GI model unless you send gun to them to modify the feed ramp. But i have read from folks on there forums. That they didn't need to send there in to be adjusted. So i guess it is hit or miss. I am going to have him shoot 100 pack of them Winchester value pack first to break it in.
By JohnFH
I'm doing 45's right now.

I want to use that mold G

My SA GI feeds anything I put in it
By CTSixshot
JohnFH wrote: I want to use that mold G
That's not a photo of my mold, but I believe I do have the 4-cavity #130. I'll have to dig it out of storage; unless that was one that I sold to my brother in VT. Have you used the Saeco 068? I have that one, as well.
By Mopar
I almost exclusively buy MBC bullets these days. Those 230g LRN work great in 1911, and for the price it isn't worth my time and effort to cast, resize, and lube them myself. They also offer a discount to LEOs and military, as well a discounts to shooting clubs. Powder Valley also seems to sell them a little cheaper, but they only stock the common ones. Remember, you need to factor in shipping when buying online. With flatrate shipping, 1 pound of bullets cost the same to ship as 60 pounds, so order as mush as possible to keep the cost down.
By newguy
Ya I read on MBC website they charge 13 dollars flat rate up to 2000 bullets
By CTSixshot
Poor mailman.

BTW, that H&G mold did go to my brother.
By newguy
Just another quick question is what the best powder to stock up on for 45 acp. I have heard a bunch of different types

Titegroup
Bullseye
Unique
Universal
W231

Just would like to know what would be my best bet thru a 1911
By JohnFH
Bullseye has worked very well for me
By Mopar
newguy wrote:Ya I read on MBC website they charge 13 dollars flat rate up to 2000 bullets
Usually it depends on the bullets. I think it's up to 70lbs for the $13 flat rate, so if you are ordering 230gr bullets they come to about 68lbs shipping weight for 2000 bullets (you have figure 2lbs worth of carboard on top of the almost 66lbs of lead), so that's your limit. If you are ordering 115gr bullets you're probably gonna max at 3500 since they are usually boxed in 500s I think that 8 boxes goes slightly over 70lbs.
By newguy
Well when i am ready to order i will put up a post. If someone wants to go in on a bulk order and off set the shipping cost.
By Mopar
newguy wrote:Just another quick question is what the best powder to stock up on for 45 acp. I have heard a bunch of different types

Titegroup
Bullseye
Unique
Universal
W231

Just would like to know what would be my best bet thru a 1911
Geeze, you might have just as well asked what gun is the best to buy. :lol:
Everyone has their faves. I suggest doing this one of a few ways.
1) Buy and try a few different ones and work up loads with each until you see what works best for you and YOUR gun. If you are going for maximum accuracy this is really the only choice.

2) Research all the other calibers you reload for or plan on reloading for in the future, and pick the powder that is the most versatile for you. Then buy it buy the 8lb jug, WAY cheaper that way.

3) Check all the places you usually buy powder from and pick the one that seems to be the most common and easiest to find. I know more then one person who has spent the time, effort, and $$$ to work up a favorite load only to find that when he needs more it's always out of stock.

That said, my go to pistol powder is Unique. It's been around a long time, so there is plenty of load data for virtually any pistol caliber there is. It's common; if a store only has a few bottles of powder on the shelf chances are one of them is Unique. It's also fairly economical both in price and in load size. You could pretty much say all the same things for Bullseye, though I don't feel it's quite as versatile. On the down side some people seem to have problems metering Unique accurately, and it doesn't burn as clean as some of the more modern powders.
By newguy
Well i did find the right gun. My father having alot of fun with his 1911. Plus side to me buying the gun for him. Was him buying me a progressive press. So i can reload for him 45acp. (Note: Already told him he gotta buy his own components lol ) Benefits me though too since will make reloading my own stuff easier. Just don't wanna have to buy like 3 different kinds of pistol powder. Rather split price of large 8lb or 5 lb jug with my dad to cut down cost
By JohnFH
On the down side some people seem to have problems metering Unique accurately, and it doesn't burn as clean as some of the more modern powders.
This has been my experience so I reserve Unique for revolver loads now.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!