Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By Mike_Diako
I came across a thread on Cast Boolits earlier today regarding steel case .223 rounds and reloading. Apparently, when the Russian ammo companies ie, Wolf, Herters, Tula, Etc stopped using the lacquer coating, they stopped Berdan priming as well. I didn't believe it so I just went downstairs and de-capped a steel case I had laying around.

Believe it or not, it's boxer primed. I have read for years people decapping and reloading traditional steel cased ammo that's Berdan primed. I think I may give it a try and see if I blow my face off.

Here's some pics and a link to the thread on CastBoolits.com

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... steel+case
By CTSixshot
I've done it for years, but not as a regular practice. I don't recall any of the Wolf .223s being berdan primed, but since I don't shoot .223, I haven't reloaded thousands of them.
Mostly Wolf .45 ACPs (also boxer primed), Romanian 8mm and 7.62x39mm (all brands) which are berdan-primed.
By sjcolwell2
I read this post the other day and was kinda interested in reloading some steel .223 . What I found was when reloaded them the same as brass ( on the modest side) they tend to crack after one reload, where the brass dosen't. What I did was shot 20 rounds of factory steel .223. Then reloaded it using 25g of IMR4895 and a 55g soft point . I also loaded 20 brass rounds the same way. I've come to the conlusion that it can be done but you will mostlikely only get one reload out of the steel case .223. These were all fired out of a stag model 2 .
By sjcolwell2
No problem
By CTSixshot
Truth be told, I don't really keep accurate records, so no telling how many reloads I get with steel. As a rule, the case is lost before it fails.
With .45 ACP, I don't think I've ever had a steel case fail. This would apply to older US arsenal cases (1943), too. Don't recall a failure with 8mm or 7.62x39 steel either. As for .223 Remington, I don't shoot this caliber anymore, so my experience here is limited.
By sjcolwell2
I'm sure u could get them to last longer if you tune your load down slightly and use a bolt action but anything less then 25 grains of IMR 4895 and your start to get malfunctions in my semi autos .
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!