News

We are now upgraded to the newest version of phpBB. It has more features. Enjoy.

If you've forgotten your password or are having trouble logging in, CLICK HERE for a reset password to be sent to you.

45 acp reload or Not

Information on reloading for precision or money saving, equpiment to use, powder and primer suggestions, all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

JohnFH
Admin
Admin

Postby JohnFH » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:45 pm

punisher wrote:Thats weird!!!! I refreshed the page and its not there anymore.

No i have not been drinking or anything or anything else!!!

Maybe you should start :wink:

Details Count<br>Appleseed it's all about YOU, ask me<br>

punisher
Master I
Master I

Postby punisher » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:47 pm

I only drink on Fridays.
Now back to 45 acp reload tuning :P
common sense is not common

JohnFH
Admin
Admin

Postby JohnFH » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:53 pm

I have to cast another 1000 or so bullets so I can reload

CTSixshot
High Master II
High Master II

Postby CTSixshot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:58 am

Don't over think the issue, newguy.
With sound reloading procedures, your reloads should be as good as anything off the shelf. Whether cast bullets or fairly-priced plated or jacketed (Berrys/Precision Delta), you'll be able to brew reloads in .45 ACP that will keep you well supplied for less mulah.
LIke JohnFH does, the inexpensive LSWC and a few grains of Clays, WST, Bullseye, ...whichever... will get you over a thousand loads per pound of powder.

newguy
High Master II
High Master II

Postby newguy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:02 am

Ya i think i might do it just after i get a progressive or turret press. See if i can get one as a birthday gift. Sorta a good excuse to ask for one is that i am going to use it for my dad pistol rounds :lol:

Mopar
Expert III
Expert III

Postby Mopar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:21 am

Progressive presses may be faster then a turret, but they are usually a pain to change over and get up and running with a new caliber.so much so that most people end up with a separate press for each caliber. Turrets are slower, but most are very easy to change calibers. Most can be changed in a few seconds. I would suggest the turret first (the Lee classic cast is a great choice for the money), then buy a progressive for whatever you load the most of.
DEMOCRACY is when two wolves and a lamb vote on what to have for lunch. LIBERTY is when the lamb is armed. Join the Connecticut Citizens Defense League for FREE at http://www.CCDL.us

newguy
High Master II
High Master II

Postby newguy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 am

Looks like I am going to get the Lee Progressive 1000 already setup for 45 acp. As my birthday gift from my folks. So looks like I will be pretty much set I am happy they asked me what I wanted I thought they were gonna say no but lucky me they didn't and CABELAS has it on sale too

CTSixshot
High Master II
High Master II

Postby CTSixshot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:42 am

What a deal!
Have fun...

newguy
High Master II
High Master II

Postby newguy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:47 am

Ya since it already comes with the dies looks like i will have a extra set of 45acp dies

JohnFH
Admin
Admin

Postby JohnFH » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:04 am

you can always use an extra set, this way you can do small test batches if you need without breaking down your press

newguy
High Master II
High Master II

Postby newguy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:08 am

Good point I just hope i have enough room on my bench to put progressive along side my single stage press and still have room to work

GreggAndrews
High Master II
High Master II

Postby GreggAndrews » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Mopar wrote:Progressive presses may be faster then a turret, but they are usually a pain to change over and get up and running with a new caliber.so much so that most people end up with a separate press for each caliber. Turrets are slower, but most are very easy to change calibers. Most can be changed in a few seconds. I would suggest the turret first (the Lee classic cast is a great choice for the money), then buy a progressive for whatever you load the most of.

Just my honest opinion, progressive presses can be real a-holes on days they aren't happy.

Ask me how I know. :lol:
Sometimes you just have to Cowboy Up.

Mike_Diako
Expert IV
Expert IV

Postby Mike_Diako » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:39 pm

GreggAndrews wrote:
Mopar wrote:Progressive presses may be faster then a turret, but they are usually a pain to change over and get up and running with a new caliber.so much so that most people end up with a separate press for each caliber. Turrets are slower, but most are very easy to change calibers. Most can be changed in a few seconds. I would suggest the turret first (the Lee classic cast is a great choice for the money), then buy a progressive for whatever you load the most of.

Just my honest opinion, progressive presses can be real a-holes on days they aren't happy.

My Lee Pro1000 is a BITCH when the primer feed is acting up. I am honestly surprised I haven't lit one off with some of the jams I've had. Other than that, it runs great though.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CTSixshot
High Master II
High Master II

Postby CTSixshot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:36 pm

punisher wrote:Ya 45acp is expensive and seems to be going up.
50 rounds of regular target seems to be going for around $18 for 50.
The defense rounds for like $20 ive seen for like $30 and up.

I dont reload but id imagine you guys that reload can press out alot more than 20 defense for $30?

Easily done...
...although I can't say that I've seen any Speer GDHP in 230 grain in years.

GreggAndrews
High Master II
High Master II

Postby GreggAndrews » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Mike_Diako wrote:
GreggAndrews wrote:

My Lee Pro1000 is a BITCH when the primer feed is acting up. I am honestly surprised I haven't lit one off with some of the jams I've had. Other than that, it runs great though.

The most I can say is, Dillon decapping pins for some reason, like to get caught up on the base of the brass and bend like crazy! Right now I'm working on a Dillon 1050XL set up for .45acp; works A-OK, just have to pay attention to the machine and how it stages itself for each round. Some machines run really really awesome, and some are total PITA's.
Sometimes you just have to Cowboy Up.

Return to “Reloading”