Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By JohnFH
punisher wrote:Thats weird!!!! I refreshed the page and its not there anymore.

No i have not been drinking or anything or anything else!!!
Maybe you should start :wink:
By punisher
I only drink on Fridays.
Now back to 45 acp reload tuning :P
By JohnFH
I have to cast another 1000 or so bullets so I can reload
By CTSixshot
Don't over think the issue, newguy.
With sound reloading procedures, your reloads should be as good as anything off the shelf. Whether cast bullets or fairly-priced plated or jacketed (Berrys/Precision Delta), you'll be able to brew reloads in .45 ACP that will keep you well supplied for less mulah.
LIke JohnFH does, the inexpensive LSWC and a few grains of Clays, WST, Bullseye, ...whichever... will get you over a thousand loads per pound of powder.
By newguy
Ya i think i might do it just after i get a progressive or turret press. See if i can get one as a birthday gift. Sorta a good excuse to ask for one is that i am going to use it for my dad pistol rounds :lol:
By Mopar
Progressive presses may be faster then a turret, but they are usually a pain to change over and get up and running with a new caliber.so much so that most people end up with a separate press for each caliber. Turrets are slower, but most are very easy to change calibers. Most can be changed in a few seconds. I would suggest the turret first (the Lee classic cast is a great choice for the money), then buy a progressive for whatever you load the most of.
By newguy
Looks like I am going to get the Lee Progressive 1000 already setup for 45 acp. As my birthday gift from my folks. So looks like I will be pretty much set I am happy they asked me what I wanted I thought they were gonna say no but lucky me they didn't and CABELAS has it on sale too
By CTSixshot
What a deal!
Have fun...
By newguy
Ya since it already comes with the dies looks like i will have a extra set of 45acp dies
By JohnFH
you can always use an extra set, this way you can do small test batches if you need without breaking down your press
By newguy
Good point I just hope i have enough room on my bench to put progressive along side my single stage press and still have room to work
By GreggAndrews
Mopar wrote:Progressive presses may be faster then a turret, but they are usually a pain to change over and get up and running with a new caliber.so much so that most people end up with a separate press for each caliber. Turrets are slower, but most are very easy to change calibers. Most can be changed in a few seconds. I would suggest the turret first (the Lee classic cast is a great choice for the money), then buy a progressive for whatever you load the most of.
Just my honest opinion, progressive presses can be real a-holes on days they aren't happy.

Ask me how I know. :lol:
By Mike_Diako
GreggAndrews wrote:
Mopar wrote:Progressive presses may be faster then a turret, but they are usually a pain to change over and get up and running with a new caliber.so much so that most people end up with a separate press for each caliber. Turrets are slower, but most are very easy to change calibers. Most can be changed in a few seconds. I would suggest the turret first (the Lee classic cast is a great choice for the money), then buy a progressive for whatever you load the most of.
Just my honest opinion, progressive presses can be real a-holes on days they aren't happy.

My Lee Pro1000 is a BITCH when the primer feed is acting up. I am honestly surprised I haven't lit one off with some of the jams I've had. Other than that, it runs great though.
By CTSixshot
punisher wrote:Ya 45acp is expensive and seems to be going up.
50 rounds of regular target seems to be going for around $18 for 50.
The defense rounds for like $20 ive seen for like $30 and up.

I dont reload but id imagine you guys that reload can press out alot more than 20 defense for $30?

Easily done...
...although I can't say that I've seen any Speer GDHP in 230 grain in years.
By GreggAndrews
Mike_Diako wrote:
GreggAndrews wrote:

My Lee Pro1000 is a BITCH when the primer feed is acting up. I am honestly surprised I haven't lit one off with some of the jams I've had. Other than that, it runs great though.
The most I can say is, Dillon decapping pins for some reason, like to get caught up on the base of the brass and bend like crazy! Right now I'm working on a Dillon 1050XL set up for .45acp; works A-OK, just have to pay attention to the machine and how it stages itself for each round. Some machines run really really awesome, and some are total PITA's.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!