Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
I picked up a cheap set of 45acp dies. I have bullets and primers. Just need to get powder just wonder if it really worth my time reloading 45acp or if i should just buy cheap blazer 45 ammo instead. I only have single stage press at this point so i will have to swap out the dies and such. Is it really going to be worth my wild or not. Just wanted some input what others think.
By GreggAndrews
You might as well load .45... it's expensive to buy anyway.

You can load .45's pretty cheap IIRC; cast bullets make it even cheaper & easier.

Mind you, I'm only working with a single stage right now... doesn't take that long! :wink:
By GixerJockey
With the right components, you can reload for about half the price. Is a little bit if your time worth the other half?
By GreggAndrews
GixerJockey wrote:With the right components, you can reload for about half the price. Is a little bit if your time worth the other half?
That's actually a very good point. If you guys are planning on shooting a lot, it would save you a ton of money. Otherwise, your dad might be happy just buying a box every now and then.
By newguy
Think i am going to wait till i get a turret or progressive press. buy commercial for now save the brass. Don't really want my dad breaking in his new handgun with reloads. Since I am picking him up a new one this weekend. Shoot i really gotta teach him to reload at the point now were everything i reload is for him he might as well do the work :lol:
By punisher
Ya 45acp is expensive and seems to be going up.
50 rounds of regular target seems to be going for around $18 for 50.
The defense rounds for like $20 ive seen for like $30 and up.

I dont reload but id imagine you guys that reload can press out alot more than 20 defense for $30?
By GreggAndrews
punisher wrote:Ya 45acp is expensive and seems to be going up.
50 rounds of regular target seems to be going for around $18 for 50.
The defense rounds for like $20 ive seen for like $30 and up.

I dont reload but id imagine you guys that reload can press out alot more than 20 defense for $30?

I don't have any .45 bullets laying around (nor have I priced them), but I figure a decent cast bullet (perhaps even just a LRN) would do the job well enough, and are fairly cheap. The nice part about cast bullets is, if you use a soft enough alloy they seem to expand like crazy. I load .30-06 with 215gr. RNGC that really deform after hitting a bucket full of water.

Wayyy more than 20 for $30. :)
By newguy
Well My birthday on the 7th of July and he been asking me what i want for my birthday so maybe this will give me a good excuse to ask for a progressive press setup 8)
By JohnFH
At the advice of an attorney, DO NOT carry reloaded ammuntion in your defensive/carry guns. It can/will be used against you that you made "killer bullets" if you ever get into a defensive shooting.

If at all possible, carry the same ammunition as your local police for the same reason.

I reload massive amounts of 45acp, mostly 200gr SWC
By GreggAndrews
JohnFH wrote:At the advice of an attorney, DO NOT carry reloaded ammuntion in your defensive/carry guns. It can/will be used against you that you made "killer bullets" if you ever get into a defensive shooting.

If at all possible, carry the same ammunition as your local police for the same reason.

I reload massive amounts of 45acp, mostly 200gr SWC

That's actually a REALLY good point. Handloads may (and likely will) do better than factory ammunition if assembled with choice components, but could easily be twisted around on you by an overzealous prosecutor.

They're good for that.
By punisher
Is it just me or is there a picture of a sexy lady following me to the right?
By GreggAndrews
punisher wrote:Is it just me or is there a picture of a sexy lady following me to the right?
What on earth are you talking about dude... 8O
By punisher
On my posts to the right im getting the picture that MYGlink has of a lady standing in front of a pistol!!!
By JohnFH
You might have a virus
By punisher
Thats weird!!!! I refreshed the page and its not there anymore.

No i have not been drinking or anything or anything else!!!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!