Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By JohnFH
It works, is portable and takes a long time per round. Thats what I started with 30 years ago
Last edited by JohnFH on Fri May 18, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CTSixshot
It's an elementary means of reloading...as is the hand press. You can reload quite simply at the range or at home, but you'll likely seek something more substantial for volume reloading.
By myglimk2
:lol:

I have all the time in the world right now with my current situation. So I don't mind how long it will take per round. 8)
By newguy
Wait save yourself another 50 bucks and get 50th lee kit when Cabelas has it on sale again for 79 dollars would be my advice
By Mike_Diako
newguy wrote:Wait save yourself another 50 bucks and get 50th lee kit when Cabelas has it on sale again for 79 dollars would be my advice
This

Don't waste your time hammering your rounds together. I started with the anniversary kit too. The scale it comes with though is absolutely useless. Makes a good doorstop. :lol:
By JohnFH
I like the Lee hand loader, I still use it to prime all my rifle loads.

I also think it's a great tool for loading small test batches if you don't want to mess up your press settings, every reloader should have one.
By newguy
Ya I didn't like the Lee scale used it once got the hornady digital scale they sell for 35 bucks works perfect
By GreggAndrews
Jeff, you'd probably be better served by picking up a cheap single stage press, rather than monkey around with this thing.

Don't get me wrong, it'll work... but as John said, it's good for making up a few test loads. Just get the Lee press, or even the RCBS Partner press along with a set of carbide dies & you'll be all set. :)

Yeah... don't get the Lee scale. I'm starting to hate that thing.
By Mike_Diako
You don't like having to re-adjust it every time you exhale? :lol:
By GreggAndrews
You don't like having to re-adjust it every time you exhale?
THAT!

That, and I've found that it's fairly inconsistent from charge to charge for some reason... for example, I loaded 46gr. of IMR4895 for my .30-06 loads, and out on the range, and there was a noticeable difference between some of them performance wise. Some actually kicked more than others. :?
By newguy
I been using that Lee perfect powder dispenser. Have zero issues with it i do a check every 5 rounds or so. and it hasn't let me down yet stays right at were it was every powder drop
By myglimk2
Just not looking at dropping a lot of cash right now. Maybe once my situaution changes I'll move on to a better press etc. Pretty just something to fool around with.
By GreggAndrews

Just not looking at dropping a lot of cash right now. Maybe once my situaution changes I'll move on to a better press etc. Pretty just something to fool around with.
Don't worry, take your time & find something that works for you.

Realistically, all I've been working with is a single stage press, & powder scale (think less than $100, very easily). Just add bullets, powder, primers, & brass you'll be fine.
By myglimk2
For $31.95 shipped I could be reloading in no time. Just swing by Cabelas for primers,powder, and bullets.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!