Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
Wonder if those prices are correct website hasn't been updated since July of 2011
By Mike_Diako
Thanks for pointing that out. If the price is correct I think I may order 1k to try out. That's really good pricing.
By Mopar
Shipping isnt included in their pricing, so figure another $10-$14 for shipping. Also, not sure about the 9mm, but the pricing on the 357/38, 44, and 45 seem a bit high for cast lead bullets. Speaking of that, the site says they "should" test at 15 BHN hardness, which is a little on the soft siide. You will probably have leading issues if you push them to commercial ammo levels.
By Mopar
OK, went and compared 125gr round nose 9mm. Dry creek wants $66 + s/h for 1000.
Then I checked out what I usually use, which is Missouri Bullet Co.
I get them from Powder Valley because A: I can order jacketed or plated from them as well, and B: They are actually a few bucks cheaper then ordering direct from MB. Anyway, Powder Valley has 1000 for $57.64 + s/h, which should be about the same price since they both use USPS flat rate shipping. That's a fair amount cheaper.
Also, the ones from Powder Valley are 18 BHN hardness, so you can run them a bit hotter before leading becomes an issue.
By Mike_Diako
Awesome, thank you! I'll pick up some of MB bullets.
By CTSixshot
FWIW, other pages on their website are much more current, so it's likely that the site is fairly updated. I do question the .358" 38-40 bullet listing, however...probably just a proof-reading error.
Don't hesitate to suggest USPS Flat-Rate shipping on inert items like brass, cast bullets etc. Some companies use UPS and simply don't consider an alternative. I was able to get a better shipping deal from polygunbag by doing this. Of course, it doesn't work for tracers, live ammo, primers and other hazardous material.
As to hardness, it's not usual to push plain-based cast bullets to super-sonic velocities, so I doubt you'll see much lead-fouling issues whether 15 or 18BHN. My cast product is of unknown hardness and I've never had significant fouling issues (rifle and pistol). Then again, I may be completely ignorant and have lower standards than most.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!