Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
Going to start reloading some 6.5 carcano next week all i can find is info for H4895 not IMR4895

Start loads for H4895 is 27gr of powder and max is 30gr

Just looking for some advice if i can use the same load data or is there a huge difference between H4895 and IMR4895
By CTSixshot
All the load data I've seen published shows different data for each powder, so I wouldn't assume they are exactly the same; maybe close, but stick with published load data to be safer.
By newguy
Guess i will have to pickup some H4895 for the 6.5 carcano because can't find any data for IMR4895 might have to look alittle harder see if i can find something i rather not have to buy a second lb of powder just for carcano rounds
By Mike_Diako
H4895 and IMR4895 are NOT the same or similar. If I remember correctly, H4895 has a faster burn rate.
By JohnFH
There is a chart showing the burn rates for all thier powders on the web site
By newguy
Well looks like i have to pickup Magnum rifle primers that what Hornady recommends . So i guess i will pick some up and the recommended powder also. Instead of acting like a shady tree reloader :lol:
By GreggAndrews
IMR4895 is super common, there HAS to be load data for the 6.5 Carcano.

IIRC, I thought H4895 & IMR4895 were somewhat similar, with IMR4895 having a slightly faster burn rate. Wasn't most of the M1 ball loaded with IMR4895 or its equivalent at that time (there was a thread on CastBoolits about this somewhere I believe)?

I'll have to double check this.
By newguy
Hornady manual says Vargret with maguem primers so i guess that my best bet even though i didn't wanna use another type powder or have to buy different primers just to reload another caliber
By Mike_Diako
If they are large rifle then I may have some magnum ones I could trade you. I think I have a pack of 100.
By newguy
ya i got abunch of LR primers i be willing to swap a pack for a pack of magnums. Wow this can totally be read wrong :lol:
By Mike_Diako
I'll check when I get home. You need Large Rifle for the 6.5 Carcano correct?

And, :lol: by the way.
By newguy
Need Magnums for Carcano so Hornady manual says
By GreggAndrews
Need Magnums for Carcano so Hornady manual says
Yeah, the 6.5x52 is kind of an odd duck like that. I'm not entirely sure why magnum primers are needed with a semi-small bore, but from what I read it had something to do with S.E.E occurring (partially burns, and then the rest of the propellant ignites after the initial ignition) I think.

I almost regret getting rid of those Carcanos. They really were nice shooting little guns (the one I traded to Kerismo was a veryyy nice rifle.).
By newguy
Ya i seen if you use LR primers standard ones they blow out primers and cause case blugging
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!