Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By equality72521
I get the impression that a few of the regulars here are serious reloaders, so I thought I'd toss this question out there.

Where the heck does one even get started in reloading? Right now it seems so mystical to me…

It's something that intrigues me on many levels. The thing that bothers me most about shooting is the perceived waste: every session is 2 or 3 cardboard boxes, some styrofoam trays and a whole bunch of brass. I have the uncontrollable urge to pick up my brass and take it with me because I think “Man, I paid for that.” I wouldn’t know what to do with it, but the urge is still there... At least I’m “donating” it to the range. I’m a big recycler, and the thought of reloading seems like it would satisfy this deep rooted anxiety I have about the amount of waste I produce at every session. It’s not so much about cost, as I know it would require a significant investment in good equipment and time, but cost savings also intrigues me. It may take a lot of rounds for the equipment to pay for itself, but psychologically it sure would feel good to know I’m theoretically paying less per round...
I’m also highly analytical and detail oriented, almost to OCD status. I understand reloading requires that kind of mindset, so it also appeals to me on that level. (I’m the guy following the recipe on the side of the mac-n-cheese box, measuring everything out – drives my wife insane.)

Any thoughts out there on where to begin? Good books? Any masters want an apprentice?

I got a Dillon “Blue Press” catalog in the mail the other day and My Head ESPLODE! (Quite possibly from the blond kneeling over the Barrett)
By JohnFH
You can start simple, with a single stage press and one or 2 die sets, expect to drop a few hundred to start, brass tumbler and a few other minor add ons. Or go nuts with a full multistage with case feeders and all the bells and drop $3000, it all depends how much you shoot and how much time you want to spend reloading.

I'm using a hand press for priming and case sizing, and a RCBS single stage for seating and crimping. I'm not in any hurry when I reload so it works, very happy with the results in pistol and rifle.

I do plan on adding a progressive press to speed up the process a little.

If your in the area, I can show you some basics
By CTSixshot
Hmmmm...start? How about with one step. What's that Chinese proverb?

I still use a single-stage press and reload about a dozen calibers, rifle (.223 Rem., 6.5x55, .30 M1 Carbine, .308 Win., .30-06, 7.5x55, 7.62x39, 8mm)and pistol (.32, 9x18, 9x19, .38/.357, .40/10mm, .44, .45ACP). Berdan-primed and some steel cases reloaded, too.

Does seem a shame to throw away perfectly good brass, even if you don't yet reload nor get a decent price for scrap brass. Gather it up and set it aside, you'll get into it soon enough.

Lee dies represent a good value. Start with a strong press (especially for full-length rifle case sizing). You can use a $20 hand press, but you'll get sore after a thousand rounds.

Look around, you can pick up much of the gear used and save.

When you see powder, primers and bullets on the discount counter, scarf them up for later use. It's possible to cast some of your fodder, but that gets a bit more involved with regards to gear, time and lead exposure. Still, it's good to have that capability, I suppose.

There's much more to say, but get with someone to show you the basics and you'll be on your way. I'm not very close in New Haven, but you're welcome to sit in.
By JohnB
where to start ? buy the lyman reloading book and read it front to back, it has all the info in there on what to buy and you'll get a real idea on if its something you want or can do
id never tell anybody the reason to reload is to save money unless its some real exotic cartridge, the real reason is you make better ammo and you customise it to the rifle your shooting to get better groups
plus its fun :)
By JohnB
sure, its not as scarey as it looks, just follow all the steps carefully and you'll be ok, one piece of equipment i have to say is worth every penny is a digital scale/dispenser, avoid the beam scales as theres room for error there
By CTSixshot
equality...
...now's the time to reload! The winter weather makes an ideal time to stock up on reloads for next spring....get going, man!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!