Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By Mike_Diako
Put simply, accuracy and/or cost. It all depends on what you are reloading and why you have decided to reload. For me, it was all about cost. There is a substantial upfront investment when you factor in the equipment but in the long run it pays off to reload. It costs me about $110 to reload 1k rounds of 9mm where if I was to purchase the same quantity at WalMart it would cost me well over double that.

I also load some calibers for accuracy. I am the type of person to tinker with things. The cause and effects of loading your own ammo enable you to customize a load for each individual firearm instead of shooting a factory load from a manufacturer.

Some people also reload since factory ammo isn't available in certain calibers.
By newguy
Ya good point about oddball calibers. I am reloading British 303 reloading costing me anywhere between 22 cents and 30 cents a round were if I bought commercial ammo in store. It cost me anywhere between $1.00 to $1.50 per round. That a serious difference in price i made back the cost of dies and equipment in no time
By GreggAndrews
Accuracy AND cost!

You don't have to pay gadzooks worth of money to make ACCURATE ammunition. Buy a box of FMJ's in your choice weight, a pound of powder, and primers... it is all up to you how careful you are when you are assembling your loads, and what your particular gun likes.

Besides that, it's fun.
By CTSixshot
Variety and availability are two big pluses.
For starters, I'll assume you mean reloaded ammo versus factory ammo, not the component part: bullets. Few stores beyond gun shops will have bullets available. Even some gun shops are sparse when it comes to reloading components.
The above replies cover your question adequately.
I guess you could also find solace in the fact that in a worst case scenario, you can brew up ammo w/o regards to store hours and political correctness in the convenience of your own home or cave.
Now, for bullets...
...few gun shops even offer cast bullets. So, where do you get cast bullets for your .308 Winchester for that metallic silhouette match? You find a source and reload or you don't shoot that match. (Or you get in touch with someone who reloads and beg.)
I'll leave it at that (before I go further off on a tangent!).
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!