Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By Mike_Diako
I have the Hornady press mounted collet style one. It works great and doesn't leave pull marks unless you crank down on the thing. Especially helpful if you forget to fill the hopper with powder on a progressive press lol. I took apart 150 rounds one night. That was fun...
By newguy
Ya I looked at those tula primers 31 bucks then the 27.50 hazmat charge = OUCH
By GreggAndrews
I don't know about you, but all I'm hearing is "Group Buy"... 8)

I have quite a bit of the AMA .30-06 brass (Dutch/Danish/Swedish/whatever the f*ck it is) kicking around.
By MadSmith
GreggAndrews wrote:
I don't know about you, but all I'm hearing is "Group Buy"... 8)
Their 5000 primer package with a single hazmat charge would seem better suited for such group buy. Literally more 'bang' for the buck.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/23431

Got a moderate pile of beautiful 7.62x54r brass that I'd love to work into precision match ammo in the 7N1/7N14 class.
By CTSixshot
Agreed on a bulk group buy.
As for berdan primed brass, unless it's the extra large primer (6.45mm or whatever it is... the darn Murom website doesn't come up anymore!) most rifle cases use the standard .217" berdan primer. Many .303 Brit and 7.62x54Rs use the BIG primer (those SA surplus rounds look to be .217", but you've never returned one to me to verify this!).
No, you can't just drill out the anvil and use the large rifle boxer primer (.210") unless you have some means to secure it.
I've been reloading 7.62 NATO, 7.62x39 Wolf (yes, steel), 8mm, GP-11 etc for years and it's all perfectly good fodder. Is it always worth the bother? That's your call. I like to do it because I can.
By newguy
Well British rounds i loaded worked out good. pretty darn accurate no issues. I did have one issues with my Mauser one of "The Load" bullets got wedged in there pretty good didn't make it out barrel. Took abit to get it out but it came out. Was pretty good day out at the state range busy though and way too many newbies Took like half hour to get everyone settled in to start shooting
By CTSixshot
Now you can say you've slugged your barrel.
Did you pop off those 6.5 Carcano rounds?
By newguy
No didn't use the Carcano rounds yet my sister bought my dad a Marlin 795 so he was shooting that most of the time
By GreggAndrews
I did have one issues with my Mauser one of "The Load" bullets got wedged in there pretty good didn't make it out barrel.
Cast or jacketed? How much of the charge did you back off?

I shoot 12gr. in the .30-06 with 150gr. FMJ's.
By newguy
Think they were 13gr got acouple rounds off Gary to test guess they failed test couple that did fire tumbled they were jacketed 150
By Mopar
So what load did you settle on for the brit?
By newguy
38gr of powder with the 150 gr FMJ worked great for the Brit
By CTSixshot
The jacketed don't slip as well as the cast. This was one of those famous Internet recipes that isn't suitable, obviously. Probably best to stick to the Red Dot loads with cast bullets only.
Ever have any failures with the cast bullet loads?
By GreggAndrews
The jacketed don't slip as well as the cast. This was one of those famous Internet recipes that isn't suitable, obviously. Probably best to stick to the Red Dot loads with cast bullets only.
Ever have any failures with the cast bullet loads?
Nope! Haven't had any problems with jacketed bullets either (120gr JHP for the 7mm work GREAT over 10gr. Red Dot in the 7x57!)

Works for '06, with 150gr. jacketed bullets, but that's just me & your mileage may vary. :)
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!