Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By GreggAndrews
Why beat up the rifle, the brass and the shooter any more then you need to? Speaking of making the brass last, if it's from your rifle, neck size only.
YUP!!!

I'll give you an example (I believe I told Gary this story a while back). I had a friend who had an absolutely BEAUTIFUL low number 1903. This is one I would've given my left nut & a thumb for. Muzzle gauge was ZERO; almost virtually unissued. 110% matching, everything absolutely SPOTLESS.

He decided that being the cheap bastard he was, he wouldn't buy a new rifle, no... we have to use a 100yr. old rifle to dabble in .300 WinMag territory. Long story short, the receiver ring cracked, but didn't let go entirely. He is extremely, extremely lucky. I compare it to giving a teen an original Shelby Cobra, and him wrecking it. I also wanted that rifle, really really badly before that happened.

Me? I never load at/near maximums... just because I don't really have a purpose for it and I want my guns to last a hella long time. I figured if they made it over 100yrs. before *I* came along, they should be around after I'm gone. :lol:
By newguy
Ok 38gr it is lol will let ya guys know how it works out
By GreggAndrews
Ok 38gr it is lol will let ya guys know how it works out
Good man.

Speaking of which, head over to Crapela's if you get the opportunity to, their Remington .303 (unprimed brass) is pretty reasonably priced. I think it was something to the tune of $27 or so.
By Mopar
Dont forget cost either.
At 42gr you will get 166 rounds from a pound of powder.
At 38gr you will get 184 rounds from that same pound.
By newguy
Any money savings sounds good to me. Tell ya it a shame I have abunch of.beautiful Brit.303 once.fired.surplus cases and it all berdan.
By GreggAndrews
Don't worry, I'm working on that hydraulic decapper.

It just has a few bugs that are more of a pain in the ass than making the thing in the first place. These might have to be caliber specific (trying to make a universal... but it's pretty hard to stop/minimize leakage). :evil:
By Mopar
Good luck finding those primers!
By newguy
Not gonna even bother with Berdan stuff I mean 1000 primers from Graf is 66 dollars total that includes shipping no cost savings there
By GreggAndrews
Can't you bore a flash hole in the primer pocket to accomodate Boxer primers?

I'd imagine it wouldn't be to hard to make a boring bar that would not only ream the inside of the pocket to proper specifications, but to also mark the center (if not bore it out) for boring.

Perhaps a plunge through cutter?
By Mopar
It can be done, but not as simple as drilling a hole. First there is an anvil that needs to be moved/removed. I understand you can make a jig that flattens it out and covered the 2 berdan flash holes. Then you need to drill a new flash hole. Finally, the berdan primers are larger then boxer, so you need to swage the pocket to tighten it up.
By newguy
Well got 5 test loads for tomorrow 38gr 3.035 OAL hope that they work ok.
By GreggAndrews
It can be done, but not as simple as drilling a hole. First there is an anvil that needs to be moved/removed. I understand you can make a jig that flattens it out and covered the 2 berdan flash holes. Then you need to drill a new flash hole. Finally, the berdan primers are larger then boxer, so you need to swage the pocket to tighten it up.
Oh screw that. :lol:
By Mike_Diako
you could always work up a bunch of different test loads, mark them, and whatever load works best just pull the bullets on the remaining loads and adjust to the appropriate charge.
By newguy
Ya i gotta stop being cheap and buy a puller lol
By GreggAndrews
Ya i gotta stop being cheap and buy a puller lol
I am in the same boat you are... LOL.

Pliers and cast bullets don't get along well. :roll:
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]