Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
Going to be reloading some Brit 303 today and i have some 150gr Priv .311 Bullets. Doesn't seem like there anywhere that has load data for Priv bullet heads. I found load data for Spire point 150gr .311 but no FMJBT and No Priv bullets using IMR4895 just wondering if it ok to use the Load data for Spire Points for these FMJBT
By JohnFH
loading guides are reference or baseline information and should not be though of as the all authority.

With all new or untested loads in your gun, start about 10% under and work your way up looking for pressure signs and your accuracy node.

Sometimes all it takes is a .2 grain difference to go from blah to wow.

I have plenty of targets to prove that
By newguy
Ya think i am going to load 2 batches of 20 with different powder amounts label them and find out what works best
By Mopar
If nobody else answers with load data, I'll try to remember to check my books when I get home from work. If I forget, shoot me a PM after 4-5pm.
By newguy
Thanks I may not load today may do it tomorrow. Heading to range Saturday morning just wanna make sure i have some set for my dad to test. He lucky i enjoy the reloading or he have to do them himself lol
By CTSixshot
This is a constant dilemma, you'll often find your brand of bullet is not listed specifically in load manuals.
You have to use some interpolating.
Bullet profiles in the same weight can be of varying lengths, so you will have to consider the COL and seating depth of each particular profile. If you seat your 150 grainer to the same depth as a known 150gr bullet, you should be pretty close. Your COL might be quite different, but if it fits into your magazine and chambers without interference, you should be okay.
I know, it gets to be a little grey area, but don't panic.
As said above use the starting powder charge and work up to say 10% below the listed maximum for whatever similar bullet is listed in your loading manual.
If still concerned, use only listed bullets.
By newguy
Ya i would have bought other bullets but these were 23.99 for 100 can't go wrong there
By JohnFH
Quite honestly, when starting with a new load or combination of components, it usually comes down to a somewhat semi educated guess as to where to start, after a while you get better at guessing.

Even with all the measuring and weighing and all the other stupid stuff I find myself doing for record keeping, I end up making some of my better loads purely by accident. Changing bullet and forgetting to reset the seatting die for a few rounds.
By newguy
Ya i think i am going to make a dummy round with the 150gr bullet so i can get the seating correct. Then work on what powder load sizes i wanna use.
By Mopar
You forgot to remind me. :)

Most of my books only show the Hornady SP in 150gr. same as you found. It's also .312 (as are most bullets specified for .303brit) for what that's worth.

For that bullet Lyman 48th shows a 38gr starting load of H4895, 42gr max, and OAL of 2.975

The 2006 Hodgdon manual shows H4895 36gr start, 40gr max with a COL of 2.995

Hornady 7th shows H4895 29.9gr start/38.9 max for that exact same bullet with a COL of 2.935

The only exception is Modern Reloading (2nd edition, by Richard Lee) has a listing for "150gr jacketed". That shows a starting load of 38.5gr of H4895, and a max of 42gr with a min OAL of 3.035

Notice the differences for the exact same bullet? That's why you always need at least 2 sources of load data. Now, notice also they all show H4895, not IMR4895? Hodgdon 4895 is NOT the same as IMR 4895, even though Hodgdon and IMR are owned by the same company.

So that was a total waste of time :P
By newguy
Thanks for trying i had same issues as you. Priv bullets are almost impossible to find load data for I think I am just gonna load them to the Sprie Points in Lyman Manuel load just make the load 41gr of IMR4895 and give it a shot. That between the low and max
By Mopar
So back to your IMR powder :P
When the books fail, go to the internetz!

Steves Pages ( great resource, btw.... stevespages.com) just shows "150gr" with IMR-4895 From 36.8 grains to 45.0 grains

That goes well with with the powder manufacturer's website, which shows a max load of 44.2gr.

Handloads.com shows a working load of 42gr

ReloadAmmo.com shows a max load of 42gr

From a forum post: Speer Manual # 9 page 283
.311 dia bullet 150 gr Spitzer
Starting load 38.0 gr of IMR 4895 for 2343 fps
Max load 42.0 gr " " for 2594 fps

I did find a post over at TFL from a guy using your exact privi bullet:
I made up 2 different batches, one using 35 Grains of 4320 and the second using 37 grains of IMR 4895

Both seemed to work fine, no unusual pressure signs, and the cases showed no sighs of gas leakage. There was a little more powder debris in the barrel from the 4320 than the 4895. The 4895 load felt a little snappier, but both hit around the same point on the target.

As expected, both loads shot low, using the 300 yard battle sight was about 2" below point of aim at 50 yards.
Based on all that, I think if it was me, I would start at 38gr, and being as it's for your dad, I may or may not work up from there. He might prefer to adjust the sight and keep the lower recoil.
By newguy
Cool ya So 41 gr of IMR4895 might make a happy medium to try. Sounds like he had abunch of bullet drop using 38gr. Might make 10 in 41gr and the other 10 is 42gr. Then test them Saturday.

Will give range report when i test them out. I mean price of the bullets is pretty reasonable.
By Mopar
He actually used 37gr.
Again, just me, I would start at 38gr, and consider leaving it there if I could adjust the sight enough. It's not like you're going to be shooting it out to 300-600yrds, not many ranges here longer then 100-200yrds. Plus, it's a 70yr old rifle, and rifle brass loaded near max doesnt last long, and .303 brit has a rep for not lasting as long as most. Why beat up the rifle, the brass and the shooter any more then you need to? Speaking of making the brass last, if it's from your rifle, neck size only.
By newguy
Ya was going to just neck size them. Might look into some new brass also. Maybe try 38 and 40 so I don't over push it.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!