Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By Chantry
I've used both. The mallet is time consuming and can be messy, but you get the bullet back intact. The collet/die method is quick and clean, but mangles lead and plated bullets. The plated bullets were usable for practice, the lead bullets ended up going to a friend to be tossed in the casting pot
By newguy
Ya i wanna reuse the heads so i guess Mallet type way to go for me
By Mopar
helpful hint for using the mallet style puller. The collets they include to hold the brass SUCK. instead of messing around trying to get them all together with the o-ring around them, just use the proper shell holder from your press.
By GixerJockey
I've always liked the mallet type for the reason of being able to re-use all of the components. You just have to get the touch for how hard to smack the thing. First couple of times you will not hit it hard enough.
By newguy
Ya i figure i will do it outside and wack it onto a piece of firewood. I have about 46 6.5 carcano rounds i wanna save the bullets on espeacilly since dam bullets cost 40 dollars for 100 of the correct size
By JohnFH
I have had very good luck using the RCBS collet puller, I lightly polished the edges and inside, and now I can pull 30's with out leaving a mark on the bullet.
By Mopar
newguy wrote:Ya i figure i will do it outside and wack it onto a piece of firewood. I have about 46 6.5 carcano rounds i wanna save the bullets on espeacilly since dam bullets cost 40 dollars for 100 of the correct size
Newguy, I'd snatch these up then: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... uctId/6186
By newguy
Ya saw those really good deal. Don't have die set for carcano yet but that next on my list. Carcano really my dad's rifle so gonna make him buy the dies and heads. Shoot every rifle he owns i bought him as gifts least he can do is buy his own ammo :lol:
By CTSixshot
Impact style tends to give you a less-deformed bullet. Stuff some dunnage into the tool to keep from deforming soft points, if necessary (mindful that you may trap powder in the filler and contaminate other breakdowns).
You will find light bullets (22 Hornet, .223 etc) can be a chore due to the relatively low mass; no issue at all with .444 Marlin, 8mm and other heavyweights.
After years of use you may eventually break the thing and wear out the collets (usually aluminum).
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!