Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By Butch
I had a shooter next to me in a Bullseye match shooting 38 spl wadcutters. The bullet was splitting in half with the top half cutting a clean hole in the target and the remainder of the bullet tumbling.
I have had the same experience with some of my reloads also. The loads are not hot but the bullets do have very deep concaved bases.
I suspect the problem may be too tight a crimp but I'm not sure.
Anyone have any experience with this or thoughts?
By Jim22
Are these bullets half-jacketed, with an exposed lead point and a copper jacked on the rear part? I remember reading something about an improper load resulting in them separating, and I don't remember it being good. It may have been too light of a load, not sure. I recommend looking up that particular bullet and the powder being used in a loading manual and make sure the load is in line with the recommendations. The bullet manufacturer and the powder manufacturer should both publish data for the components, hopefully used together. I would try very hard to find a combination that behaved better (safer!). I would be concerned that a jacket might get stuck in the barrel, which if followed by a second shot, could create dangerous pressures and an explosive failure of the gun.

Jim
By Butch
These are lead wadcutters that I have had for a long time and loaded years ago. I doubt that I still have the original box.
But, as I said, I have seen it happen to at least one other person who was using fresh reloads.
By jeff4570
Could the revolver cylender be out of alignment and spliting the bullets ?
Iv seen some poor balistics while shooting 38 sp in a 357 gun .
Hollow base waddcutters loaded upside down ?
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!