Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By myglimk2
The only caliber I am looking to reload is 9mm. What basic,cost effective setup would I need to be able to begin reloading this caliber? I know very little about this subject. All I want to make are target loads for throwing downrange and maybe a few hot loads.
The caliber I shoot the most is 9mm. I can get tons of 9mm brass from the range. Only calibers I own are 223/556,22,9mm,380,and 12guage (home defense).
Any info would be greatly appreciated. All I need is something basic to get the job safely done. Not trying to break the bank :P

Thanks guys!
By JohnFH
Lee Pro 1000, mine cranks as many rounds as I can pull the handle on(read that "a lot")

I can sometimes be bribed to come down and help do set ups for pizza and beer :wink:
By myglimk2
:lol: Might have too once I get all that is needed.

So something like this?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/428284 ... -9mm-luger

Anything else needed? Scale?
What kind of primers and powder would you recommend?
By newguy
i say calipers and a lube pad and some plastic boxes and lots of labels and a good manual maybe one for manufacture of the bullets your gonna use
By JohnFH
Lee are carbide dies, no lube required.

A scale to check powder loads, a way to measure OAL is about all you need, the press has pretty much everything else.

Add cases, powder, primers and bullets and start pulling the handle
By myglimk2
JohnFH wrote:Lee are carbide dies, no lube required.

A scale to check powder loads, a way to measure OAL is about all you need, the press has pretty much everything else.

Add cases, powder, primers and bullets and start pulling the handle
So just that press,caliper, and scale. 8)
sounds simple enough!

What would you recommend for powder/primers?
By Mopar
I usually recommend this kit from Kemph for people to get started https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?pag ... &Itemid=41
Make sure to get the $13 upgrade too. Get that and a kinetic bullet puller($15), a set of calipers($20), and a cheap digital scale($20) and and you will be good to go. The nice thing about the turret over the progressive is it's a lot easier to set up, especially for a beginner. You can start out using it in single stage mode, then switch to autoindexing once you feel more comfortable. You can crank out 200-250 rounds an hour in that mode. Not as fast as a progressive, but almost impossible to make a mistake. Other nice thing is caliber changes can be done in seconds. Just buy a new $10 turret place for each set of dies. With progressive presses, you usually dont want to mess with them once you get them working right. Most people end up buying a new press for each caliber rather then switch them over.
By JohnFH
Small pistol primers, any, magnum or #5 1/2 not needed. Bullets, I like and cast 125 gr rn lead.

Powder HS-6 is good, I have been using TiteGroup and it has been fine, the HS-6 loads tend to be a little hotter at the factory given minimums and I have ended up going much lower for my target loads.

I have yet to find a piece of paper that cared if the bullet was going 850 fps or 900 fps, and saving 2 grains of powder per load adds up when you start counting them in the thousands
By Mike_Diako
I use Bullseye powder and whatever I can find for small pistol primers for 9mm.

The most important thing is a CLEAN working area. If you are just getting started with reloading then you might want to go with a powder that takes up more volume in the case so you lessen your chances of a double charge. I can't recall a specific type of powder off the top of my head, maybe someone else could chime in.

Small plastic baskets are great to have around as well for sorting bullets, cases, and loaded rounds as well. You can find them at Walmart for cheap. I think the last time I bought some they were 3 for a dollar. I reuse the plastic and foam trays from factory loaded ammo to sort and stock the completed and loaded rounds.

A good scale is a must as well. Especially when dealing with pistol rounds that have a fairly small charge. The one that comes with the Lee kits is garbage in my opinion. I found a nice RCBS one at a gun show a few years back for a good deal.

If I think of anything else I will post it in here.
By Mopar
I'm a huge fan of Missouri Cast Bullets. The quality is very good, and for the price it doesn't pay to cast them myself. You can get them direct from Missouri Bullet, but Powder Valley usually sells them slightly cheaper and I can order other stuff at the same time. Remember, some guns like glocks with stock barrels do not like lead bullets. I'll second the Titegroup, though I generally use Unique for my pistol loads. It's old, and a little dirty, but it's cheap, been around forever, and you can load damn near any pistol or shotgun round with it.
By JohnFH
Unique is a lot more volume but meters like crap through the Lee powder feeder, that is why I went back to Titegroup.

The Lee press makes it really hard to double charge a round, being that every pull of the handle moves the round to the next station.

I probably have about 30,000 plus rounds through my Pro 1000 in the last 3-4 years and have had no parts failures or issues of any kind really.
By myglimk2
Great information guys! Keep it coming! :D
By newguy
There also the Berry copper plated bullets not sure how good they are but Cabelas sells them in bulk and cheap
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!