Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By Mike_Diako
How long does powder usually store for. I have an old 8lb jug of Win 748 with about 4 pounds left it in. I haven't touched it in well over a year. It's a very old container as well. Is there any way of testing it to see if it's still good?
By JohnFH
I shoot ammo from 1944, if it's stored properly it pretty much lasts forever, I have about 9-10 pounds of the same stuff from the 70's, works great.

Just remember to work up loads slow with older powders as formulas do change over time and current books might not be correct
By Mike_Diako
That's what I was thinking as well. Thanks a lot.
By CTSixshot
I can pretty much second what JohnFH says, even though I can't swear if any of my powders are from the WWll era.
Pour the contents into another container and look for any obvious deterioration or contamination. I've heard that if it smells vinegary, it may be degrading, but my olfactory senses can't prove this statement.
At worst, pour a small stream and light it off. If it sizzles and burns like the new stuff, it's probably okay to use it and work up towards maximums.
By GixerJockey
I'm currently loading .44 Mag and .40 SW with No.9 that is over 20 years old. Come to think of it, I haven't bought powder in over 10 years. I bought a ton of powder (well maybe not quite a ton... but over 50 lbs) and what felt like a ton of lubed, cast bullets from an estate sale a dozen years ago. I hope I never run out of powder, the prices of reloading supplies is enough to scare anyone...
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!