Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
Well looks like i am having a seating issue not sure how to solve it seems some of the bullets i seat seat nice and firm and some with alittle pressure push into the case anyone have a idea of what i am doing wrong i am pretty stumped
By JohnFH
you need to measure your bullet diameter to make sure it's consistant, and your inside neck size diameter of your sized cases.

the other issue deals with case hardness, but for once fired factory brass that should not really be an issue
By newguy
Seems like the issue is with certain year HXP brass some works fine some doesn't looks like the ones i am having issue with are the same year
By JohnFH
the cases that are not working too well might be work hardened, only way to fix it is anneal them
By newguy
Ya think when i get a bullet puller i will just yank out the bullets and junk the cases
By Mopar
could also be that year is a different case thickness
By newguy
Ya i ran the ram 4 or 5 times to see if it would reseat no luck i giving up putting them in damaged goods bag till i get a puller
By Mopar
after you have resized them, measure the neck id of a "good year" and the "bad year".
By JohnFH
newguy wrote:Ya i ran the ram 4 or 5 times to see if it would reseat no luck i giving up putting them in damaged goods bag till i get a puller
?????
By newguy
Tried reseating to see if they hold and they don't but bullets won't pull out so have to wait till I get bullet puller so I can pull them and rerun the cases thru the sizer die
By JohnFH
Seating is a one shot deal, once you have tried to seat a bullet, the case will never get any tighter.
By newguy
Ok didn't know that still learning process on my part guess I better invest in a puller
By GreggAndrews
Generally speaking, brass is very malleable & easy to form... BUT, that can change with work hardening (hell, it seems like the stuff just gets hard with age!).

What I would do if I were you, is I would heat the case necks (and shoulders) with a propane torch & plunk them in water. After that, size & try to seat the bullet again.

Just my few pennies.
By JohnFH
Be very careful annealing brass, if you soften it much further down then the neck (Important, DO NOT soften the shoulders), you run the risk of cases bursting
By Mopar
^^^^^^ THIS! ^^^^^^
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!