Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
Just was depriming abunch of cases this morning and i noticed that 90% of my primers shoot in opposite direction of the primer catch is there something setup wrong on my press
By CTSixshot
I don't know what set up you have, but primers tend to fly all over. I just slip a piece of light cardboard around the chute/tray and that stops most of the errant cups and anvils.

FWIW, this was one of the biggest problems working off my lap with a hand-held press. If you had all the fired brass in your lap and spent primers were falling into the mix, you'd ultimately get a case or two with a primer inside... there goes your decap pin! A change of procedure cured that easily enough.
By newguy
My Afternoon of reloading

By CTSixshot
They will likely shoot as good, if not better than, the factory fodder.
Good job.
By newguy
Love the digital scale and the Perfect powder dispenser checked every 10th round and dispenser seems to be pretty accurate
By JohnFH
Whats distorting the tips of your bullets?
By newguy
Those are PPV HPBT 168gr to be honest the tips are alittle werid even before I put them in seater it not the seater that doing it. That how they are i checked acouple in box and some are fine some are alittle werid there from Serbia what ya expect lol. Plus they were given to me. So i am not complaining like they say never look a gift horse in the mouth. Could have been seconds. They shoot fine too.
By JohnFH
How do you measure OAL if the bullets are all different lengths?
By newguy
Just the tips are alittle off they may look like different lengths in photo but they all measure up correct it may be box too because it not really right length for those rounds i can't close cover
By JohnFH
I understand, here is the issue.

By measuring to OAL you are seating the bullet at different depths to make up for the difference in length.

How far the bullet is inserted in the case matters, it changes the pressure.

It also effects how far the ogive is from the lands, which also matters and can change case pressures.
By newguy
Guess will have to give them a shot and see how i did most likely won't be for another month or two since weather and places for me to shoot is limited
By JohnFH
They will shoot fine most likely.
They will not be as accurate as if they were matched closer.

I reload more for accuracy and quality control, than money savings in my rifles, I spend too much time to save money.

I do like the results, this is 6 rounds out of the 12FVSS .308
By newguy
I think it pretty relaxing honestly to reload saving money a plus. The accuracy part well I am just happy if i don't blow myself up.
By GreggAndrews
They look terrible, look at all those really minute imperfections (get out that magnifying glass).

You better hand over all of those to me... I'll take the burden of having to shoot them off in my 1903...

Better yet, give me all of your loading equipment too. I promise I'll make good ammo with it. :wink:

(looking good. Can't wait until I get dies... :) )
By CTSixshot
I've experienced slight tip distortions on Sierra MatchKings, too. Ideally, you'd want to be seating bullets via a comparator, but bullet profiles could vary enough to give you some variations even using that.
In the real world, my eyes won't allow me same hole accuracy even if the ammo were absolutely perfect. However, it doesn't mean you can't strive to be as consistent as possible with your reloads.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!