Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
Alright, so anyway I got my first press thanks to CTSixshot.

Now on the other hand, I'm a little skeptical about dies... this being said, what are the real differences between Lee, RCBS, Redding, etc. dies?

I'm sure there's a quality difference somewhere, but in all practicality, what difference is readily apparent in the different brands?

Lee's low prices would indicate that they're probably the bottom of the pack here, but I've heard nothing but good things about their equipment.

This being said, how do they all stack up against each other? I would really like to wring the most potential out of my 1903, Krag, & other rifles, but I'm unsure as if the dies themselves make a real difference on the cases themselves or not.

Thanks in advance!
-Andrew
By Mopar
I always recommend Lee stuff to new reloaders. Yes, there is some difference in quality, though not so much with the dies. Lee is great to get started on, as you go you'll learn what you want. Personally, if I'm buying new dies, I always check Lee first.
By SR9
Mopar wrote:I always recommend Lee stuff to new reloaders. Yes, there is some difference in quality, though not so much with the dies. Lee is great to get started on, as you go you'll learn what you want. Personally, if I'm buying new dies, I always check Lee first.
+1 My brother is a serious re-loader since he shoots 44 mag and Lee is his preferred die. He like the way they work and likes their quality.

Also, for everything else he prefers RCBS for their warranty and customer service.
By hayes1966
Most of mine are RCBS, I have some Redding and Lee too. Customer service matters to me and I will continue to buy RCBS products.
By JohnFH
I have mostly RCBS with a few Lee and Lyman mixed in.

Really never had a problem with any of them, broke an RCBS decapping pin on a berdan primed case once and RCBS wouldn't let me buy a new one, they sent me 3 or 4 and the updated pin holder that lets the pin move so it doesn't break if I do that again.
By Mopar
JohnFH wrote: they sent me 3 or 4 and the updated pin holder that lets the pin move so it doesn't break if I do that again.

Heh, I'm pretty sure Lee came up with that idea first. :lol:
(sidenote: I think the Lee universal decapping die is the best $10 piece of reloading gear I've ever bought)

Customer support does have to be factored in, but I temper that with the price. Does RCBS have better support then Lee? I think so. But am I willing to pay twice the price for it? Not usually, though the last die I bought was in fact RCBS. But hey, the Dillion was 2.5x more then RCBS so...........
By Mike-Sid
I use Dillon, RCBS, Hornady, Lee and a custom set from CD4H for a then wildcat. Now I usually go with RCBS or Hornady. My only Lee set is for 22 Hornet, they look fine, I have not used them yet....sold my Hornet gun, looking for another.
Make sure you use a caliper and measure, measure, and measure. Stay with published loads....and have fun!
By Drew
I eventually ended up with Redding and Dillon dies. Redding powder measures as well.
By GreggAndrews
Okay then... Lee it is. :)

On a side note, I've heard CH4D has dies for the 8x58R... any reviews on their stuff?

Before I plunk down $90+ for dies, I'd like to know if they're good, or I should spend the extra on RCBS.
By Mike-Sid
My CH4D dies are .338 Spectre. At the time they were the only option. The dies are fine, but the seating stem was too long. I called them up we talked it over and they sent me the seating stem I needed, no charge, got it in days.
See if the dies are in stock or if they need to make them, might take time.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!