Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
Just have a concern i have some conflicting load data

I am using 168 gr jacketed rounds .308

Paperwork with die says

IMR4895 start 48.0gr max 51.2gr OAL 3.230

Lyman manual

IMR4895 start 43.0gr max 48.5gr OAL 3.300

30.06 round

I loaded 44gr of powder am i using too little wanna know before i load anymore
By JohnFH
What are the dates of the resources you are using?

Some times powder formulas change and the info gets updated

Also, different bullets of the same weight, sometimes have different charges too
Last edited by JohnFH on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By newguy
I have a older Lymans manual and a brand new one both have same load data

and the Lee dies are brand new so paper work in there is brand new
By JohnFH
I just copied this from IMR web site
168 GR. HDY HPBT IMR IMR 4895 .308" 3.230"
48.0 2719 49,900 PSI 51.2 2859 58,200 PSI

So they are saying 48 as a start and 51.2 max OAL 3.230, but remember that OAL is for the Hornaday Boat tail hollow point, and if your not using that bullet, your length could be different.

I usually go to the powder manufacturer and get the most current data for thier product

It is always better to start low and work up. They will fire fine if everything else is correct with that amount of powder, they just won't be as fast.
By newguy
So the ones I loaded 44gr are not good to shoot and I will have to pull them
By JohnFH
No, the ones you made should be fine, they just won't be as fast, instead of 2700fps, you might get 22-2300 fps.
By newguy
Btw i had the resizing die down too far i backed off a full turn and no more dents i knew i was doing something wrong
By JohnFH
offer still stands, my reloading room is all set.

15 bucks in gas might save you a lot more than that in time and wasted components.

If you fill the dented cases with water and put them in the freezer, you might be able to get the dents out and be able to resize them.
By CTSixshot
newguy:

It looks like Lyman is listing data for H4895, not IMR 4895. They are likely fairly similar powders, but based on the data on Hodgdon's website, I wouldn't assume they are exact duplicates of each other.
They also list reduced data for the .30-06, but it's only for H4895, not IMR 4895 (and this is only for lighter bullets 125gr to 135gr).
You'll find much conflicting data, so try to duplicate everything as published in reliable manuals, as best as you can determine.
http://hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Reduced% ... 0Loads.pdf
By newguy
Ya data in lymans and with die kit are both for IMR4895 that I am looking at but max in manual is the low on the die kit werid I gonna check online acouple places and find a happy medium don't wanna load too too high for my Springfield figure keep it at 44gr try them if there fine next time increase it abit maybe 45 or 47
By CTSixshot
You're using recently manufactured powder from IMR, I assume...
...personally, I'd use the Hodgdon data (from their website or Loading Guide), which is Winchester and H(odgdon) data as well.
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I'd suspect Lee and likely, Lyman, simply copy mfr data into their booklets. I can't swear that Lyman tests all of these loads in their lab....?
By GreggAndrews
offer still stands, my reloading room is all set.

15 bucks in gas might save you a lot more than that in time and wasted components.
I'd do it if I were you. Both John & CTSixShot are your best bets around here as far as reloading goes.
By newguy
Accuattly just loaded the ones i did today with 48gr which was low end on the powder maker and the high end in lymans manual accuattly felt like driving to lymans since it like 10 mins away maybe 5 depending on bridge traffic
By Mopar
This is why it's a good idea to have at least 2 sources of load data. The more the merrier, and the newer the better. Fortunately, Al Gore has given us these here interwebz which makes it somewhat easier to research things. A few more sources on hand never hurts though. FYI: I think all the major powder manufacturers list load data online, but many will also send you a free print version. Same with your major bullet manufacturers.
By newguy
Ya I saw acouple powder makers offer free data mailed to you but I love the fact that I can put up a TV tray with my labtop and have data right near my reload bench plus YouTube videos of people showing reloading has helped me out a lot too
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!