Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
Just gonna start doing alittle reloading today so if anyone sees Man blows himself up reloading on the news it me LOL. Think i have it all down pat just gotta make sure i am careful
By JohnFH
I'm around today, I'll give you my cell phone number, call if you have any questions, I would rather get a call than read the news.
By newguy
Thanks if i have any questions will give you a ring i am pretty much sure i got it down pat but i rather be save then sorry i am gonna try and reload 5 30.06 cases to try out when i go out to the range on 14th if they work good i will know i did it right. then i can do more i rather just do 5 because i don't have a bullet puller as of yet and i don't wanna waste too many heads
By newguy
Going to load the low end load on the 30.06 also because i am going to shoot them out of a low numbered Springfield it had the chamber gas release hole drilled fix but not taking any chances i love the rifle it shoots so nice
By CTSixshot
There might be an inertia bullet puller laying around at Hansen's; I'll check when I go down this week. Can you handle $16, if I can get it for no more than that?
Save yourself some guesswork and get a case gauge and those calipers.
By newguy
I have a caliper now and i am borrowing a 30.06 case gauge for acouple of weeks untill i can afford to pickup the case gauge
By CTSixshot
Good deal.
Unlike using your 1911 barrel to check chambering of your reloads, a rifle is a bit harder to see; that's where the case gauge helps out. Sure, you can tell if the shoulder is too far forward easily enough with your rifle by your bench, but if you're bumping it back too much, you may not see it adequately while test chambering.
This is where the case gauge comes into play. Assuming the neck isn't swelled too much to enter the gauge, you can check your fired brass easily to see if they only require neck-sizing, too, It really aids in getting the die set up initially, so you won't be pulling bullets from reloads that don't fit the chamber.
Now...get going!
By newguy
Looks like i did ok but i have acouple small dents up by neck i think i put too much lube on when i used resizing die. they were acouple little dents after resizing die
By JohnFH
were the dents there after sizing or after bullet seating?

I over seated some 30-30 and got the dents you are talking about.
By newguy
After the sizing die i think used too much lube at least that what i read in manual sounds like what they were talking about
By newguy
There also brand new 30.06 dies
By JohnFH
I'm still thinking the die was set too deep, were the dents in the shoulder or neck?
Also what lube and was it in globs on the case?
By newguy
Ya i think i may have forgot to back off half a turn on the die when i tighted it forgot about that. there on shoulder not the neck and used the RCBS pad and lube
By CTSixshot
It doesn't take very much lube around the neck/shoulder or accumulated inside the die to get hydraulic denting of the cases. There's usually a relief or drain hole in your die body, but too much lube will still dent your cases.
You'll learn from experience what works and what doesn't.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!