Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
So a friend of mine recommended i take a empty caseing and adjust my seating die with a bullet on top till it chambers correctly in my rifle and use that empty caseing with a bullet on it to adjust my seating die when i reload that caliber ammo with that type bullet every time is this a good way to go about doing this just wondering also is there any need to crimp jacketed rifle rounds Sorry if these are stupid questions but i rather be safe then sorry Thanks for your input
By hayes1966
What caliber are you reloading? I may have something to help with this.
By newguy
30.06 for my Springfield
By JohnFH
You are more than welcome to come up and get a hands on reloading lesson, I have plenty of 30-06 supplies.

The process your describing is loading to a specific depth off the lands, and for your first few loads, I would go with more a factory spec load until you better understand the process, and the dangers associated.

Come in the morning, we can hit the range in the aftternoon and see how you did.
By newguy
Might take you up on that have to be in a few weeks though got laid off right before Christmas and still haven't seen a employment check yet. So gotta keep my driving down so i have gas in my car untill i receiver a check. Shoot laid off 5 times in last 10 years is rough every time you catch up you get laid off again I always believed what my grandfather said work hard put in 110% and you will always have a job i guess it a different world now.
By newguy
Though i am thankful i have a good family sister got me the reloading kit for Christmas and my brother inlaw went out and bought the wood to build my bench
By CTSixshot
COL (cartridge overall length) data is calculated (also full-length resizing) so a particular bullet will function in all standardized spec chambers for that caliber.
When you are reloading for one specific rifle, you will find that you can custom fit your COL to allow for a leade or bullet jump of let's say .020". The altered COL maybe too long to fit into another rifles chamber and may not even fit into your magazine. This isn't nessecarily an issue if you are shooting single shot. You may also be able to simply neck-size your brass, too, since it's "fire-formed" to your particular rifles chamber, eliminating some undue working of your brass.
For most practical purposes, follow the above replies and reload according to specs.
Last edited by CTSixshot on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By newguy
Guess better pick up one of them digital caliper things so i can check it then that didn't come with the kit
By JohnFH
Yes, mandatory to have at least 1 or 2 around, you will use it alot, have plenty of spare batteries around (ask me how I know) :wink:

Not a bad idea to have calibration weights to double check your scales now and then too.

Make sure you have all the load data for a particular round, including bullet specs, the shape of the bullet does have an effect on how long(OAL) you can load particular bullet.
By newguy
They have a ok set i beleive in Harbor Freight Tool catalog for 10 bucks i might pick those up hopefully next week
By JohnFH
You have no idea the can of worms you opened by reloading, there is so many little things, and every little thing matters
By GreggAndrews
Might take you up on that have to be in a few weeks though got laid off right before Christmas and still haven't seen a employment check yet. So gotta keep my driving down so i have gas in my car untill i receiver a check. Shoot laid off 5 times in last 10 years is rough every time you catch up you get laid off again I always believed what my grandfather said work hard put in 110% and you will always have a job i guess it a different world now.
Friend, take it from me. There is NOTHING out there; I have looked high & low. NO-ONE is hiring... :(

They have a ok set i beleive in Harbor Freight Tool catalog for 10 bucks i might pick those up hopefully next week
First things first, I have a set of Harbor freight mics & calipers. DO NOT BUY THEM. You are throwing away $10. Mine are NOT accurate.

I think Lyman made a nice analog caliper, $35 or so? This is for you folks like myself that don't like those newfangled digitized contraptions. :wink:
You have no idea the can of worms you opened by reloading, there is so many little things, and every little thing matters
Right on the head. I got my feet wet with an old Ideal Tong Tool (.32-20). It's mind boggling the things you can do with handloading... and how cheap it is. :lol:
By newguy
Ya my jobs keep getting sent over seas computer market is tough. Thanks for the heads up on Harbor freight stuff i will check into the lyman ones shoot Lyman's is pretty close to were i live it about maybe 10 min ride lol though they don't sell to public from there building
By GreggAndrews
One thing I'll recommend too though; if you're really serious into reloading & plan on this long term, I'd recommend ANYTHING by Starrett.

This is one of their cheap models, but will serve you a LONG time with exceptional accuracy.

Starrett is f'ing expensive, but I trust no other mic to be as accurate. That's why they are all that I will ever use for engine work, firearms, or any other task requiring absolute precision.

Brown & Sharpe are good as well (hell, I have a few of their verniers that are ANCIENT), but the newer ones I have found lacking. If you find an OLD B&S for a reasonable price, JUMP ON IT.
By newguy
I just gotta wait two more weeks to do alittle more shooting so i can free up some brass lol and away i will go reloading my 30.06 I think i am not gonna do the 7.5 swiss cus the ammo still available surplus and cheap. My next task with be British 303. i been dieing to go shooting again especially my Springfield i think I have shot maybe 60 rounds thru it since i have owned it
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!