Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By CTSixshot
Sorry newguy...
The .217" primers (which seem to be the only size available in the US) are good for most berdan-primed 8x57, 7.62 NATO, 7.62x39mm (Wolf, Norinco, Silver Bear, etc.), 7.5x55mm, 6.5x55mm, but most 7.62x54R use the larger diameter primer.
The Murom Apparatus Producing Plant website doesn't come up anymore, so I can't quote the part number you seek. It's closer to a 6.47mm diameter (corrected size).
Thanks for the link though, because I have been looking for a source that has the .217" in stock (or close to being in stock)!
Last edited by CTSixshot on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By newguy
No problem i read on one of the forums though that the bulgrian 7.62x54r use the .217 might wanna look into that incase you get some of those cases I accuattly have some i will look for the post i found on the bulgrian cases and post it in here
By CTSixshot
Yes, I thought the ad mentioned Albanian surplus , too. In any event, most use the larger-sized primer, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to save all of your brass, just in case you do find a source for all sizes of berdan primers.

KV762N is the Nato (.217") size and correct Cup height for all .217" Berdan Pocket cases of "European Military Rifle" calibers (7.9mm, 7mm, 7.65mm, 8mm Steyr, Euro .30/06, Euro .303 Br., 7.62R Albania, Czech, etc. 7.5MAS, 7.5 Swiss, 6.5 Swede, 7.62 Nato.)

At 3.12 cents each, even for the pricier KV762N, it's not a bad price. Shipping might bring it closer to 3.5 cents. Wal-Mart has CCI for 3.17 cents not including tax.

Of course, buy a few boxes of WWB, S&B or Wolf Gold (NNY) and you'll have all the boxer-primed cases that you'd need.
By newguy
This is what i read didn't know if you knew it but seems like it the really early stuff that is .217

The Albanian and early (1948 to 50 or so) Bulgarian 7.62x54R Light ball imported to the US over the last few years uses the .217" Berdan primer. It is not the best of brass in the first place...but it is good for a few reloads at least.
By CTSixshot
You got me there. I haven't really kept track of the dates on the limited amount of 54R that I've collected. The newer Prvi Partizan, I'm quite certain, is larger than .217".
There is some 1939-41 Russian in my stash, but I haven't decapped and measured it, to be honest. Some of it is for the ShKAS aircraft machine guns and isn't for rifle use, but the rest is the standard yellow-tip, I believe.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID01.htm
Ш is an abbreviation for the ШКАС (ShKAS) aircraft machine gun as seen on two of the headstamps on the following row. These cartridges are specially made only for use in the ShKAS and should not be fired from rifles. They are further identified by the red color and ring crimp of the primer.
By CTSixshot
FWIW, most of the .303 British uses the ~ 5.6mm diameter primer, too. Don't quote me, but I have no idea if these are date-sensitive either...?
As to French, Hungarian, Thai and other odd-ball calibers: beats me!
By newguy
My father been wanting a Enfield but i keep talking him out of it because of the ammo cost i mean a dollar a round for commerial is kinda expensive for 303
By CTSixshot
Not true, not true....
Hansen's in Southport has a crate full of cheaper surplus .303 Brit. It's brass cased (berdan? I couldn't find the headstamp ID in my sources). Whether or not it's cordite-charged or other, I don't know. I was tempted to buy a box just to find out. I believe it was $7.50 per 15 rounds. IIRC it wasn't on strippers; some of the other .303 was. They also had more expensively-priced NNY ammo, but Jay will usually give you a deal if you ask and pay in cash.
I also have about 60-100 reloads (mostly frangible and tracer). You can also brew up some light-recoiling cast fodder to shoot all day long.
Last edited by CTSixshot on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
By newguy
Maybe i know now what i am getting my dad for Christmas. I know there a place in Sterling CT that has some MK4 Enfeilds for under 200.
By newguy
Is there any range that will allow you to shoot tracers and rounds like those. We don't have anyone we know with enough private property to shoot
By CTSixshot
Sadly, your options are limited with tracers and other exotic ammo. We could always make a farm date (@ my cousins in Goshen, CT) during or immediately after a rain storm!
By newguy
That what kinda kills me about State range in Glastonbury it a sand pit don't see why they won't let ya use them there not like anything would catch fire
By CTSixshot
Yes, I know. It does have the ideal backstop, doesn't it. You'll miss out today, if you stay online! Get!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!