Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
I had a bit of a brainstorm last night while I was taking a shower.

THEORETICALLY, could I duplicate a smokeless .45LC load (orig. SAMMI spec.) in a muzzleloading handgun that were strong enough for it?

This project would start off with volume testing the chambers, and then comparing it to the volume of a .45LC case.

Here's the tricky part now. If the volume(s) were exactly the same, or very close, would it be possible to load the same (or lesser charge within loading specs. for .45LC as an adaptation for variance in chamber volume) and then seat a bullet flush with the chamber mouths to maintain the proper chamber volumes, thereby keeping original chamber pressures in specification? (At this point in the project, think of it as a caseless .45LC)

DISCLAIMER: This is merely an idea dancing around in my head at this moment in time. I recognize the ROA as a freakishly strong BP revolver, built to the same (or very near) specs. as the Blackhawk (same cylinder heat treat, etc.). Until I do more research, I do not intend to actually do this. I am merely looking for input is all.

Thanks in advance everybody,
-Andrew
By JohnFH
The weak link is the percusion cap, it can not withstand the pressures generated by smokeless powder.
By GreggAndrews
That's a good point. The percussion cap is going to blow apart regardless, but I wonder if using a nipple (Treso/Ampco) with a really small flash-hole would help things.

Maybe even silver soldering an extension on the hammer face and then forming a recess with a ball end mill would help to divert some of the excess gas.

The goal here is to create a muzzleloading handgun, without the mess of BP and improve ballistics. (although it is fun in all it's sooty goodness :D )
By JohnFH
Study the designs of Sam Colt and The Smith and wesson boys.

They did the exact same thing. The solution that they devised was the "cartridge".

The problem you will run into, is having enough spring pressure in the hammer to overcome the chamber pressure, and still not have a trigger pull of 50lbs.

A smaller flash hole will also effect ignition. Like with flint locks, you have to make the flash hole large enough for reliable ignition, and small enough to keep enough pressure in the barrel to fire the ball.

The other issue besides chamber pressure is the temp that smokless burns at compared to black powder. It will melt a percussion cap.
(Just thought of this too, modern inlines use shotgun primers, not caps)

Something else to look at, modern inline muzzleloaders, there are a few designs on the market with more of "closed chamber" that advertise as safe for smokless. Savage makes one. Be careful with smokeless powder and pay close attention to burn rates, one of the additional dangers of smokless, you must pay much more attention to powder volume, black powder is much more forgiving.
By GreggAndrews
Hmm...

I wonder if I could somehow turn down a couple nipples to accept large pistol primers (they would be too large to slip into the hammer channel upon firing, and would be forced into the rear of the frame).

I'd love to do a cartridge build... but I can't. :(
By Mike-Sid
As Johnfh said the pressure from the smokeless powder generates , will blow the
hammer back. It could end up in your skull. 8O
By Mopar
Gregg, I say this with the utmost respect; don't rush things.
Most of us here were 18 once, even though some might not act like it at times. You'll be 21 in no time flat, trust me. Istead of seeing how close to the legal line you can get without going over or blowing yourself up, concentrate on the stuff you can shoot. Dont just get good, get GREAT with a rifle or shotgun. Try trap or skeet, or silhouette, or high power rifle. If you really like the black powder look into joining a local N-SSAunit and competing with that. They're always looking for young blood. Maybe get into reloading and casting. Concentrate along those lines and 21yrs old and pistols will come along in no time, and when it does you'll be way ahead of your peers.
By GreggAndrews
Mopar, believe me I appreciate your concerns.

This is just an experiment though. If I could SAFELY get it to work, then I would... but otherwise, I'm not taking a chance.

I'm still thinking extra-girth nipples, bored for pistol primers, and then a back plate with a legitimate firing pin might be able to take that pressure.

There's that little engineer in the back of my head that's always trying to find alternatives. :D
By nvisn
[quote="GreggAndrews]

I'm still thinking extra-girth nipples, [/quote]

So am I but some day I will forget what my ex-wife looks like.
By GreggAndrews
Ick... don't get me started on nipples. The current pair that belong to the girl I'm with aren't exactly up to par either. :?
By nvisn
GreggAndrews wrote:Ick... don't get me started on nipples. The current pair that belong to the girl I'm with aren't exactly up to par either. :?
Lmfaooo
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!