Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By JohnB
how much of a taper do you put on your .45's ?
By BLACKPOWDERTOM
THAT IS IF YOU ARE REFERING TO .45AUTO. SORRY BOUT THE HASTE IN RESPONDING.. :D
By JohnB
.45 acp yep..got a new 1911 and had a problem with the heads coming loose and jamming the gun
By Franksav
I assume you are using a taper crimp die. Mine are about .472. I have an old Kart barrel on my bench that I use as a gage. When I'm loading I drop a round in the chamber every onece in a while to check it. If you are having problems take your barrel out of the gun and drop a few rounds in the chamber to see how they fit.
By BLACKPOWDERTOM
Two things to check for loose bulletheads with no crimp.
1.Make sure you have good brass. Some times the thickness of the brass (rarely but worth checking) is to thin. But make sure its rebutable like federal or remington or winchester.

2. On your seating die setting follow this.
a.) with no crimp seat one bullet to your desired depth.

b.) leave the bullet on the press (in the shell holder)remove your seating plug from the die, loosen the die collar.raise the bullet into the die and start turning down the die till you feel resistance.

c.) Lower the bullet and turn the die in 1/2 a turn. That will give you a slight crimp. You want just enough to hold the bullet in place. No more than that. If that isn't enough turn it in a little more.
too much crimp will give you internal pressure problems, and dramatically effect your accuracy.

d. lastly raise the bullet into seating die and screw in you seating plug so it just touches the bullet and lock it down.
By JohnB
thanks frank/tom, im getting one of the midway seating guage thingys to check the depth..tom i'll print that lot out and see if my brain can work its way through it :)
By BLACKPOWDERTOM
use your magazine as a guage for bullet seating depth. if the fit in the mag without binding you are all set length wise.ususally the depth the bullet is seated has no effect your problem.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!