Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
This article was listed on "surplusrifle.com's" front page recently...
http://surplusrifle.com/

Trail Boss K.I.S.S. by J. Simon and R. Ted Jeo

Would a single powder charge work across a spectrum of calibers? Let’s look at it in a logical way. Nine grains of Trail Boss topped with a 165 grain LFP bullet is the listed max load for the 30-30 cartridge. This is the closest cartridge to our mil-surp family that is listed. The 30-30 has a case capacity of 2.45 cubic centimeters (cc). This is far less than any of the mil-surps. Petty lists a 9 grain load of Trail Boss for the 30-06. The 30-06 has a capacity of 4.38cc, the largest of the mil-surp cartridges. Since the 9 grains of Trail Boss is safe in the 30-30 and did not leave a bullet in the bore of the 30-06, it was assumed it would be safe in the rest of cartridges of interest. You can also see that the working pressures of the cartridges are at least 37,000 cup. ...(More in text of article)
Last edited by CTSixshot on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
By JohnB
interesting..i was looking at doing something cast for the .303 and 30-30 but i found some berry's 30-30's at a great price $34 at cabellas, gonna need a load for them as they have to be kept under 1700 fps, i was thinking over their 110gr plated 7.62x39 (.309) bullets for the .303 enfield too, decisions !
By JohnB
i still didnt get around to trying these out.. i was gonna shoot them out of my contender but ive come to find out i have a locking lug problem with the barrel, gonna have to pester t/c when i get a roundtuit :)
By hayes1966
JohnB wrote:i still didnt get around to trying these out.. i was gonna shoot them out of my contender but ive come to find out i have a locking lug problem with the barrel, gonna have to pester t/c when i get a roundtuit :)
I sent my TC back for a repair and they never charged me the fee. Based on some of the posts I read on rimfire they are a decent bunch to deal with.
By CTSixshot
Can't really comment on TC, but I do go by their plant in Rochester somewhat often...deliver just off the prior exit, in fact.
SWHCs purchase probably hasn't changed much at TC, but I have no inside line to know that for a fact.
Last edited by CTSixshot on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By hayes1966
CTSixshot wrote:Can't really comment on TC, but I do go by their plant in Rochester somewhat often...deliver just off the prior exit, in fact.
SWHCs purchase probably hasn't changed much at TC, but I have no inside line to know that for a fact.
Put a sticky on this post 8)
By CTSixshot
JohnB:

The following moulds will drop a bullet suitable for your .303 Brit:
Lyman 311410 (the plain-base 130g round nose used in the M1 Carbine).
Lyman 311008 (an older 32-20 bullet.; plain-base, round nose flat point at 115g). Suitable for mouse-fart loads in your .30-30, too.
Both of these would be for low-speed loads, but you can push the gas-checked bullets listed below much faster.

In addition to these, I have an unmarked Lee mold that drops a 200g gas-check bullet at .3125"; profile looks like the standard jacketed tips. The Lee C309-180-R and the RCBS 308-165-SIL may also drop bullets large enough to be sized for the Brit; I'll have to cast some to verify this.
By Malaga2
10 grains of trailboss on a Hornady 180 rn is my go to subsonic 308 load
By CTSixshot
Think I'll have to start with a Trail Boss load under the little plastic bullets that just came in.
Trail Boss doesn't have any light load warnings that I can recall, does it? I think I'm going to try even as little as 3.0 grains with the little 18 grain projectile...see it it clears the barrel. Then I'll see if it can fly straight for 25 feet...
Just maybe I can stay under the Elm City gunfire sensors while shooting out my backroom window!
Agghhhhh...life is good!
By Malaga2
ctsix...what caliber are you loading for? 3 grains would be good in a 223 but you take real risk wit a 308 !
By CTSixshot
.308 A primer alone might get it out the barrel. It's these little things:
http://polygunbag.com/.308SouthAfricanP ... rView.html
They could be an indoor basement gallery round or good for chasing vermin away. They could just make for a pretty display, too.

Actually, next time I'm in your area I'll drop a few off for you along with the little sabot inserts for .224".

Perhaps I'd do better starting around 9 or 10 grains and then work my way lower.
By Malaga2
ctsix...whenever you dip below 30% case capacity you run the risk of having really bad things happen. Doesnt matter what the bullet weighs...has all to do with case capacity...

SEE: Abbreviation for Secondary Explosive Effect. SEE is a condition which can occur when slow-burning powders are used at greatly reduced charge weights (poor loading density). Rather than burning in a normal fashion, the powder detonates, as though it were a severe overload. Also known as a “pressure excursion.”
By CTSixshot
Gotcha...
I didn't multiple charge to see how many charges brought it to the mouth rim, but I usually do such to verify I have >1/3 case capacity with any powder. Thanks.
I measured 17.0g of Trail Boss filling a .308 Win case to the mouth. No data on Clays, but that can be done pretty easily
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!