Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By jeff4570
Im using Israeli .308 in my (fluted) CETME /G3/HK91 , I have been reloading for 30 years but never had such a time with this brass , first time reloading .308 winchester ,Im using Hornady FL standard dies .
Is this a rare ucurance or is this a tough cookie to reload ?
By djmiked
Jeff, what kind of problems are you experiencing?
By jeff4570
The brass seems so hard to push through the sizer die , I have old nightmares of the case getting stuck in the die , they are brand new Hornady dies and once fired brass ,I had better luck with 30-06
By djmiked
Are you using any case lube?

I do reload for a G3 with the flutes and have not had any problems. I do reload mostly military brass for that gun.
By jeff4570
Yes , I use case lube and I clean them before reloading but the fluted cases don't want to clean easy .

It may be normal (to you) but I just never loaded 308 Win before .
Iv loaded about 30 or more types of ammo including oddballs like 50/70 , Nambu , 8mm broomhandle mauser , 6.5 Jap ...you name it .

How would you compare full length resizing a 308 to a 30-06 , 32 Remington , 303 Brittish or a 30/40 Krag ? Are they in the same league for difficulty ?

I mean , Iv had problems with worn out dies or dirty cases or too little or too much case lube , even 223's can get stuck in a die .
By djmiked
The fluted cases do take longer to clean, that's for sure. The .308 is about the same as the .223 and 30/06. It could also be the particular brass that you are using. I don't recall reloading any .308 IMI brass, but I have reloaded .223 IMI without any difficulty. I have loaded .308 for bolt guns and semi's in the past with no flute marks and don't really notice that much of a difference in resizing them.
By jeff4570
I think it may be the brass .

Its very soft and thick , I can tell just by the wear marks on the base from one firing .
After 2 firings it almost erases the markings on the cases .

Thanks for the input , I think Ill try some other brass and see how it reloads .
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!