Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By Mike_Diako
I am looking to build an AR in 7.62x39. I already have a complete lower I will be building off of. Are there reliable magazines out there?

My main concern is reliability, aside from magazine issues are there any other major hiccups with these? I really want to build an AR in a popular .30 caliber.

Thanks in advance
By CTSixshot
Can't help you much, but I thought this was the whole point of the .300 AAC BLK.
Better than the 7.62x39 ballisticly and it only requires a new barrel for your AR.... etc, etc.
http://300aacblackout.com/
By Mike_Diako
Ammo cost is my concern with .300aac.
By CTSixshot
Yes yes...same old story. You guys want all the fancy hardware and then gripe about paying for ammo.
By all means, buy the suplus 39mm for 25 cents or less a round, I can understand that. I've offered another to reload the .300 AAC for $2 a box (he provides all of his selected components), but that's too much, I guess.
By Mike_Diako
I should have added that another major factor for me is that I don't want to stock another caliber. I have plenty of x39 at my disposal and it's easy to find. Not to mention, I don't have to worry about chasing my brass since it's steel.
By CTSixshot
Agreed. There's plenty of the x39mm around and if you already use it, I can see your point.
I just marvel when someone gets their African Elephant Rrifle and then expect to feed it with 20 cent a pop ammo. Just stock up on .22LR and kwichurbellyakin...

Clean up is a snap with a magnet, I know. (in a worst-case scenario I even reload the steel stuff without issue).
By GreggAndrews
Actually, a 7.62x39 AR would be kind of fun I suppose. I looked into it some time ago, and it seemed that magazines caused a lot of the issues & other associated problems.

The one thing I'm thinking of right now is, how a DI gas system would hold up to corrosive surplus... it seems like it would be kind of a pain cleaning EVERYTHING after a range session. :lol:
By myglimk2
Have a 55 gallon drum filled with Windex, submerge the rifle, let air dry, lube, done! :lol:
By GreggAndrews
myglimk2 wrote:Have a 55 gallon drum filled with Windex, submerge the rifle, let air dry, lube, done! :lol:
55gal. drum of windex.

55gal. drum of Mobil1 (courtesy of Mr. Oracle).

Paper towels (if you're a sissy)

Done deal!!! 8)
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!