News

We are now upgraded to the newest version of phpBB. It has more features. Enjoy.

If you've forgotten your password or are having trouble logging in, CLICK HERE for a reset password to be sent to you.

School me on 7.62x39 AR's

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc

Moderator: Moderators

Mike_Diako
Expert IV
Expert IV

School me on 7.62x39 AR's

Postby Mike_Diako » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:20 pm

I am looking to build an AR in 7.62x39. I already have a complete lower I will be building off of. Are there reliable magazines out there?

My main concern is reliability, aside from magazine issues are there any other major hiccups with these? I really want to build an AR in a popular .30 caliber.

Thanks in advance

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CTSixshot
High Master II
High Master II

Postby CTSixshot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:35 am

Can't help you much, but I thought this was the whole point of the .300 AAC BLK.
Better than the 7.62x39 ballisticly and it only requires a new barrel for your AR.... etc, etc.
http://300aacblackout.com/

Mike_Diako
Expert IV
Expert IV

Postby Mike_Diako » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:42 am

Ammo cost is my concern with .300aac.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CTSixshot
High Master II
High Master II

Postby CTSixshot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:18 pm

Yes yes...same old story. You guys want all the fancy hardware and then gripe about paying for ammo.
By all means, buy the suplus 39mm for 25 cents or less a round, I can understand that. I've offered another to reload the .300 AAC for $2 a box (he provides all of his selected components), but that's too much, I guess.

Mike_Diako
Expert IV
Expert IV

Postby Mike_Diako » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:25 pm

I should have added that another major factor for me is that I don't want to stock another caliber. I have plenty of x39 at my disposal and it's easy to find. Not to mention, I don't have to worry about chasing my brass since it's steel.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CTSixshot
High Master II
High Master II

Postby CTSixshot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:30 pm

Agreed. There's plenty of the x39mm around and if you already use it, I can see your point.
I just marvel when someone gets their African Elephant Rrifle and then expect to feed it with 20 cent a pop ammo. Just stock up on .22LR and kwichurbellyakin...

Clean up is a snap with a magnet, I know. (in a worst-case scenario I even reload the steel stuff without issue).

GreggAndrews
High Master II
High Master II

Postby GreggAndrews » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:30 pm

Actually, a 7.62x39 AR would be kind of fun I suppose. I looked into it some time ago, and it seemed that magazines caused a lot of the issues & other associated problems.

The one thing I'm thinking of right now is, how a DI gas system would hold up to corrosive surplus... it seems like it would be kind of a pain cleaning EVERYTHING after a range session. :lol:
Sometimes you just have to Cowboy Up.

myglimk2
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby myglimk2 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Have a 55 gallon drum filled with Windex, submerge the rifle, let air dry, lube, done! :lol:
"I believe that the human race has developed a form of collective schizophrenia in which we are not only the slaves to this imposed thought behavior, but we are also the police force of it."
-David Icke

GreggAndrews
High Master II
High Master II

Postby GreggAndrews » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:57 pm

myglimk2 wrote:Have a 55 gallon drum filled with Windex, submerge the rifle, let air dry, lube, done! :lol:

55gal. drum of windex.

55gal. drum of Mobil1 (courtesy of Mr. Oracle).

Paper towels (if you're a sissy)

Done deal!!! 8)
Sometimes you just have to Cowboy Up.

Return to “Rifle”