Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By punisher
Hi ladies and gents
First SKS and looking for experienced advice on what should I be aware of (safety wise) experiences with this riffle.
I dont have any stripper clips, where should I buy ones that will work, any modifications needed or what not.

Will be taking out of lay away soon so any input greatly apreciated.
First riffle and no experience with this riffle so go easy on me. And BTW completely covered in cosmoline.
By Hddreamer
Dontknow much about sks so i cant help ya there but,Congrats on the rifle punisher I wish you lots of luck with it !
By CTSixshot
I've only had Yugo's, so take it at that. You'll have to clean the goop out of the rifle, so take note of the dis-assembly and watch that you don't lose the spring around the push rod.
Most off the rack strippers do the job; some may crack at the cutaways and lose the rounds easily, so look for that weak point.
Slam fires could be a potential issue, but I never had grief with this.
On the Yugo, just make sure the gas port is open (grenade launcher sight locked), so you will allow gas to bleed for the operation of the action, else you have an SKS bolt action rifle.
Good luck.
By punisher
Wow
You guys and whoever you are ?
Any input
Thanks
Greatly apreciAted
By newguy
Make sure you clean the gas tube real good and keep it clean. I had a SKS and my brother inlaw still has one. Alittle info Yugo and Chinese nonchrome lined barrel. Romanian and Russian SKS's have chrome lined barrels so more wear with chrome lined over time. Yugo brass cased surplus M77 ammo is berdan primed and corrsive but extremely accurate corrsiveness is pretty mild so i wouldn't be afraid of using it just make sure ya clean barrel and gas tube area with windex. Tapco aftermarket stock works great and So does there detachable duckbill mags. You can get a adapter to use AK mags also but i heard there crap in SKS. I found it much more enjoyable to shoot with aftermarket Tapco stock just make sure yours isn't a Chinese made SKS after 1994 because you can't use the stock if it is. The key I found is keeping gas tube clean and Herters Cabelas ammo is dirty as hell in it. and I had to clean with Herters alot. So i shot the Yugo surplus I liked it better. Wow that was long winded :lol:
By myglimk2
Disassembly/ reassembly:
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_Kdn3JQDQ

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=rWm ... =endscreen

Cosmoline removal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXfw1bPJ ... re=related

As far as what to look for, I don't have a clue! :lol: :P
By MessEleven
I use these and haven't had a single problem with my Yugo:

By CTSixshot
Those are just fine. See where the spring tab leaves a small piece of metal on the ends? That's where they usually crack, but it's not a common occurrence.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!