Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
Hello,

I bought my first rifle about a year ago and still haven't shot it.

Its a mosin nagant, and i bought it from the cabellas in east hartford.

if anybody has some experience with these, do you know if cabellas removed all the cosmoline and did all the appropriate head space and pin length testing? I read all about this stuff, but I am new to rifles, so I would rather not start fiddling with things I know nothing about.

Also, I know I cannot shoot these at an indoor range, any recommendations?
By CTSixshot
You can't really assume Cabela's has made this rifle fool-proof for you. I've never owned a MN, but there are plenty of Mn-pros that can assist you with all that you seek technical-wise.
Public ranges are available as well as gun club memberships. Check out any club with a rifle range that offers public rifle events (Rockville, Quaker Hill, Mattabassett, Metacon...to name a few.
I happen to load the Sinterfire frangibles in 7.62x54R which should be gtg at indoor ranges like BSR, but verify this first with range personnel for their current policy.
By JohnFH
Never assume anything with a firearm. If you don't know, go to someone that does.

I clean all my new firearms before firing, because no one is going to care about my safety as much as me.
By GreggAndrews
JohnFH wrote:Never assume anything with a firearm. If you don't know, go to someone that does.

I clean all my new firearms before firing, because no one is going to care about my safety as much as me.
Exactly.

Cabela's hires just about anyone. I would not trust their "gunsmiths" whatsoever.

Chances are that the rifle is fine, although you may want to borrow a set of headspace gauges.

It is not worth your safety to trust some 20-something yr. old that Cabela's hired to be a "gunsmith" to make sure a rifle is safe.
By SR9
JohnFH wrote:Never assume anything with a firearm. If you don't know, go to someone that does.

Absolutely. I have had a few MNs and no matter how clean they look on the outside they always seem to have cosmoline in the chamber and in the bolt.
Do a good strip and clean and it will be a good shooter..

Check out youtube, search on Mosin Nagant and you will find a bunch of videos on the care and feeding of these rifles.
By Mike_Diako
Cabelas has no "gunsmiths". They don't do any sort of preparation to the gun before its sold. Clean it thoroughly. Source: Me, I worked there part time in the gun dept for a few months. That's a whole other story. :lol:
By JohnFH
Wow you got some big ones to admit that, how do you walk? :lol:
By nvisn
When your wife isn't home put the barreled action and bolt in the dishwasher. Cosmo is gone!
By GreggAndrews
Mike_Diako wrote:Cabelas has no "gunsmiths". They don't do any sort of preparation to the gun before its sold. Clean it thoroughly. Source: Me, I worked there part time in the gun dept for a few months. That's a whole other story. :lol:
As long as you aren't Mr. "Former Colt Employee", you and I will be A-OK. :lol:
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!