Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By chasetheonly
Hi all,

I'm new to the site and hope to make some new friends here! I have some experience with friends' guns, so am more new to the shooting community than shooting itself..

Regardless, it's time for my own rifle. My gun owning friends have mostly moved away, so I now have zero places to go shooting and no guns to use. Aside from throwing myself on a private club's wait list for a year, where can I go shooting (anywhere in CT) with at LEAST 100 yards range? I don't have a hunting license or pistol permit, but am not sure how much that complicates things..

As for a "starter" rifle, I was looking at Remington 700's, yet simply have to try the Ruger American (.308) for how great the reviews have been. I picked up a relatively inexpensive but well reviewed 10x40 Mil/Mil scope, Weaver tactical rings, and will go pick up the rifle itself sometime in the next week or two .. maybe even this weekend. I got a killer deal on everything so am very happy going this route for now at least.

I saw a recent thread for a .308 bolt-action get-together which I would have loved to come to, but missed. Who wants to take me shooting, somewhere / somehow, and maybe even be a swell guy helping me mount and zero my scope? Dinner and some ammo on me ;).

Thanks guys.
By myglimk2
Welcome to the community!

I would recommend a .22 rifle and .22 pistol. Shooting .308 all the time is gonna get a bit expensive fast, unless you reload for it. You can shoot .22 all day long!

There is always Blue Trail in Wallingford, but I would only go there on a weekday as shooting on the weekends gets a bit pricey.
http://www.bluetrailrange.com/

WLOPA is another good club that I enjoy shooting at. I'm not a member but I go with a few of it's members. :P

There is another nice club in Colebrook CT, can't remember the name right now. I'm sure JohnFH will chime in.
By JohnFH
NorthWest Sportsman is in Colebrook.

Not sure what your plan is with the rifle, I will tell you the Ruger is probably not going to benefit from your scope choice, or be a real sub MOA platform.

It will be a good hunting rifle and decent target rifle depending on what you want for accuracy. I'm kind of picky about that.

Depending where your located, you might want to try a couple of different rifles before dropping the cash.
By BigJonBoy
I agree with myglimk2. 22's are the best way to start...
By Polstery
What's your location, Hartford gun club is no wait and many style of shooting.
By chasetheonly
Wow, nice that this isn't one of those websites where nobody responds! Thanks for the info.

I checked out the websites of the places mentioned. Would not having a pistol permit or hunting license impair my ability to join/use any of these places?

WLOPA - Looks worth checking out. I can't find costs though?
Bluetrail - Looks like a good weekday option.
NorthWest Sportsman - Looks like a nice place. Costs?
Hartford Gun Club - Very nice, and has a 200y range. Can't shell out the money to join right now though..

As for the Ruger itself, thanks for mentioning ammo costs. I probably won't be shooting too often, but I don't mind spending $1 ish per round to have some fun with 50-100+ rounds whenever I have the time. I'd really like to outgrow the inexpensive Ruger's accuracy, but get .308 experience at the same time. I was almost picking up a Remington 700 SPS, so I'm still really set on a bolt-action .308 for whatever reason(s).

Ideally, I'll be shooting farther and farther distances, but since it's such a new gun there isn't much accuracy data floating around at longer ranges. We'll see how it goes..
By PaiN
I was handling the Ruger American in .308($299) in Hoffmans this morning. Its really a super nice rifle at and unbeatable price. All reports are that they shoot very accurately on top of all their other good attributes.
I'm very tempted to grab one.

http://hoffgun.com/ruger/american308.htm
By chasetheonly
Wow, $299 is good! I'm only paying a couple more bucks. Regardless, I don't think it can hurt to try for only $300.

I pick mine up tomorrow and am eager to see how it performs, but I have to zero the scope and actually find somewhere to shoot it first, haha.
By JohnFH
I want to give them a little real world field time before I have an opinion.

Pain, bring it Sunday, I'll have the bore sight and some factory 308 to try :wink:
By chasetheonly
JohnFH wrote:I want to give them a little real world field time before I have an opinion.

Pain, bring it Sunday, I'll have the bore sight and some factory 308 to try :wink:
Sunday?
By PaiN
chasetheonly wrote:
JohnFH wrote:I want to give them a little real world field time before I have an opinion.

Sunday?
We meet in small groups and shoot at each others clubs from time to time.
This Sunday is all filled ....but if you play our cards right and kiss some serious butt ( :lol: ) you'll be getting invited soon enough ;)

John.....If I do get the American, I'll bring my own ammo but....the bore sight will come in handy.
By chasetheonly
**commence ass kissing**

I'd offer free beer if that were a good idea. Maybe after, instead..

School me. I'm your pupil.

**pause ass kissing**
By myglimk2
:bum:
By PaiN
How to kill time when works call and says you don't have to come in until later......?
Run to Hoffmans and pick up a Ruger American in .308 8)
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!