Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By GreggAndrews
OK, right now I need opinions on two different rifles I'm considering. Recently I just abandoned my AR build because of a little hiccup.

I got around to thinking about it, and really thought if it's going to cost almost a grand to get into a GOOD AR, why wouldn't I just up the ante and go with a Springfield M1A (standard version, no SOCOM's)?

The economist in my head tells me that 5.56 will do what I want it to, cheaply... while the money-wasting azzhole that lives up there too tells me to go all out on a M1A.

Which makes the better "SHTF" rifle for you guys? Both are pretty darn common calibers, and it seems like a good AR will cost about as much as a vanilla M1A.

Any opinions? I feel like being patient with this and save up. :twisted:
By JohnFH
if SHTF is a consideration, what can you most easily expect to be able to get for parts and ammo?
By GreggAndrews
While a good point, I actually almost think I won't really need parts. Doesn't seem like there's really anything to go wrong with these.

Ammo on the other hand... seems like .308 is as common as .223 sometimes. That and it will help keep my bullet selection down and help condense the components I have laying around. :)
By PaiN
Its not an easy choice......We could write a book on the advantages and disadvantages of either platform and caliber.
IMO(I know some will disagree)...I just don't find the AR platform all that "tough" especially compared against the M1A. Unless you find yourself in a highly unlikely SHTF event that requires high-volume shooting(in which case your dead anyway), the M1A has it all over the AR.
By JohnFH
I actually almost think I won't really need parts. Doesn't seem like there's really anything to go wrong with these.
Mistake one for SHTF, Everything breaks or needs repair at some time, you will need parts. If you have a spare 3 dollar firing pin, and never need it, great, if you need a 3 dollar firing pin, and don't have one.....
By GixerJockey
You're young. You'll own multiple versions of both someday.

That being said, Id encourage u to start with the AR. If not strictly on ammo price alone. You'll want to shoot the shit out of it, and 308 add up fast.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!