Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By MadSmith
Light, gas operated, takes standard AR mags, lots of nifty built in features. What's not to like?

The first generation did have a weakness to the rear of the ejection port, which developed stress cracks from repeated impacts over several thousand rounds. The 2nd generation addressed this with more material and ribbing in that area.
By PaiN
I had one of the Alpha (A)versions. It was a very handy rifle and ran reliably on just about any ammo. What I did not like was the Alpha's whip thin barrel, lack of accuracy and goofy front sight post. I've always wanted to try the Charlie-Alpha(CA) out which has a shorter heavier barrel with an AR style front sight.
By punisher
The SU16c is the one alot of people seem to like.
Ive noticed that most on this forum seem to go for the Mini14.
Any particular reason? Or just personal preference?
By punisher
The reason im asking is because i have 0 riffles, not one.
So looking for a general purpose riffle recomendations.
Not really looking to get a riffle chambered in 22lr until i have a bigger caliber all set.
By PaiN
The SU16C is not legal in CT, you'd have to try and find a SU16CA...and good luck with that :wink:
By punisher
Ahh,
Thats why. Is it because it fires with the stock folded.
By Mike_Diako
PaiN wrote:The SU16C is not legal in CT, you'd have to try and find a SU16CA...and good luck with that :wink:
There was one at Hoffman's a couple months back. They had it marked at $269. Like the asshole that I am, I didn't buy it. :oops:

It was gone within 5 minutes of me looking at it. Someone must have had their eye on it and waited for me to put it down and walk away.
By punisher
Ok,
What type of riffle would you guys with riffle experience recommend.
Im looking for riffles that work, as in not having to buy 30 different mags before finding one that woks. I would actually preffer a bolt style. It seems like most ar style riffles seem to be picky and i just do no want to deal with any BS issues.
Thanks
By GreggAndrews
What kind of rifle are you looking for? Bolt-actions?
By punisher
Can you recommend some of each that work.
By Mike_Diako
What is your intended purpose?

Hunting, target, fun, or combo of all?
By GreggAndrews
Well, just about every bolt-gun you can buy today is decent; provided you don't get a Remington 710/770/etc. Those are crap. Milsurps are a lot of fun too, good, cheap fun that works shoots good depending on what you get.

Semi-autos... eh. I'm starting to like AR's more & more.

Pumps: Remington made some pump gun that used AR mags & was a .223... looked like a lot of fun.

That's about it really, unless you want to get a break-open Handi-Rifle which is fine, but a little boring.
By punisher
Thanks for the help.
Ive had my hunting licence for 10 years and my carry license for a long time and even considered buying a riffle until recently.
The search begins.
By Mike_Diako
Go buy a Mosin Nagant. You won't regret it. You can get the gun and a spam can of ammo for ~$200
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!