Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By MadSmith
For maximum bang for the buck, it's nearly impossible to beat a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Soft point ammo is available for it, and it shoots a caliber that is legal to hunt larger game with than a .223. Cheaper to shoot too.
By punisher
Basically a do it all riffle.
I tried my friends Mosin, it shot well (kicked) but it was like 10 feet long. Way to long for me. Maybe a shorter riffle.
By punisher
My friend with the Mosin doesnt know squat about riffles either. He just finished with the 10day waiting period and got it.
We were like 2 monkeys f$?!ng a football with it. Dunb and dumber trying to figure out how the thing worked.
By MadSmith
LOL

You should get your friend to look up the tons of Mosin videos on Youtube. There's plenty of decent instructional stuff there, from basic use to a full strip-down and rebuild.

For a reliable semi-auto that's designed to eat nearly anything, including dirt and keep on going, an AK type might be a better fit. We've got several types in the shop if you like to browse.
By newguy
Tell ya i don't know how the heck those Russian soldiers walked around with them Nagants with a 49 inch barrels during WWII. Shoot i couldn't find a soft rifle case that would fit the dam thing so i had to put it in a hard case and it barely fit in there
By Mike_Diako
You could try an SKS as well. Completely reliable and pretty accurate. Ammo is cheap as well.

I have a Yugoslavian and a Chinese Paratrooper that you're more than welcome to try out.
By GixerJockey
Took in a consignment SU16 at NGX yesterday. Has some goodies too. AR style stock, aftermarket, usable iron sights, front "pistol" forgrip with extendable bipod... some other stuff. Includes all original furniture. $569... but I know the guy will take a reasonable offer to move it.
By SR9
Mike_Diako wrote:You could try an SKS as well. Completely reliable and pretty accurate. Ammo is cheap as well.

I have a Yugoslavian and a Chinese Paratrooper that you're more than welcome to try out.
+1 for the SKS. I have a very nice Yugo and i enjoy it. Took it to the WLOPA service rifle shoot and did pretty good with it. Definitely economical to shoot.

If the 91/30 is too long you can check out a M44. It is shorter but still has a good kick. Quite noisy as well, but I like to make noise. :lol:
By Mike_Diako
Not to mention a car sized fireball with certain ammo. :lol:
By newguy
Ya i had a SKS only issue i had was every time i went out shooting it i go thru like 150 to 200 rounds every time i went out and i saw the money flying out of my wallet with each trigger pull :lol:
By MadSmith
Mike_Diako wrote:Not to mention a car sized fireball with certain ammo. :lol:
Add an aftermarket muzzle brake, and God help the people on either side of you. :lol:
By MessEleven
SR9 wrote: +1 for the SKS. I have a very nice Yugo and i enjoy it. Took it to the WLOPA service rifle shoot and did pretty good with it. Definitely economical to shoot.

If the 91/30 is too long you can check out a M44. It is shorter but still has a good kick. Quite noisy as well, but I like to make noise. :lol:
That was you at WLOPA? Your SKS is a beauty!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!