Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By PaiN
I'm going to add a general purpose(mostly target shooting) rifle. I have a Bushnell Trophy 3x9 with Millet rigs and a sling on hand so all I need is the rifle.
I've done as much research as I could, too me it seems like the Ruger American is the one to have. There is no other at the American's price point that even comes close. In fact, even at many hundreds above the Ruger's price, there's no rifle that offers more..
"Marksman" adjustable trigger, extremely solid/smooth action with 3 lug bolt, durable and comfortable stock with an advanced recoil pad, rotary magazine fed, pillar bedded action and free floated 22" barrel, total weight ~6lbs, Ruger even includes scope bases........Make mine a .308 please :D

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/models.html
By GixerJockey
Hard to disagree with your logic. Bang for the buck... I don't really see how you could do better. There's plenty of used options in that price range, but I think the trigger in the Ruger trumps them all. You could double the price and end up with a better shooter, but it doesn't sound like that's your intension.
By Mike_Diako
I've been eying one in .308 myself. I have wanted a bolt .308 for some time now. I have a Mauser in 7.62 NATO but that sits in a sock in the safe. Not really sure of the value of it and I'm sure as hell not drilling and tapping it for a scope. From what I have read, then CAN have a nice trigger. Most of them are supposedly about 4 1/2lbs with a little creep.
By PaiN
The triggers on the Amricans are sweet.....0 creep and very crisp, the damn things are adjustable for pull weight too......
By Mike_Diako
Does Hoffman's still have them for $299?
By PaiN
Mike_Diako wrote:Does Hoffman's still have them for $299?
Their price is 299.99 but they have no .308s in stock
By Mike_Diako
Thanks for the info. I'm sad yet relieved.
By PaiN
Mike_Diako wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm sad yet relieved.
I'll keep you posted.....on when they get them ;)
By GixerJockey
I've been eyeing .308 bolt guns lately too. I have a Model 70 Featherlight that doesn't shoot worth a shit as a target gun. And a 40x that's a 4-position competition gun. But neither of them satisfy my desire for a tack driving .308 target rifle.

There's a glass stock, CZ sniper rifle in .308 at NGX that REALLY blows my skirt up. There's also an full-build Iron Brigade Armory Model 700 with a Nightforce scope sitting downstairs. That's the one I really really want to get my hands on... :drool:
By PaiN
GixerJockey wrote:I've been eyeing .308 bolt guns lately too. I have a Model 70 Featherlight that doesn't shoot worth a shit as a target gun. And a 40x that's a 4-position competition gun. But neither of them satisfy my desire for a tack driving .308 target rifle.

There's a glass stock, CZ sniper rifle in .308 at NGX that REALLY blows my skirt up. There's also an full-build Iron Brigade Armory Model 700 with a Nightforce scope sitting downstairs. That's the one I really really want to get my hands on... :drool:
Hell brother.....there sure are tons of options and some great shooters....but NOTHING even close at the American's $300 price point....
JohnFH has custom Savage .308 available that can shoot the eyes out of a fly @200yds that I could jump on but I just can't justify spending hundreds more than I have too.
By GixerJockey
[quote="PaiN Hell brother.....there sure are tons of options and some great shooters....but NOTHING even close at the American's $300 price point....
.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. I'm pretty sure that Ruger will easily out shoot my Model 70. I'll say it again. Bang for the buck... I don't think there's a better bold action rifle available, anywhere. Buy the Ruger and don't look back.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!