Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By jgoringsbnc
I want to build an AR15 for my next gun project. My question is, where do I start!? I'm fairly new to guns, but decently mechanical, and everyone tells me to build one rather than buy one.

Where should I go or who should I talk to to start?

Also, which parts do you need first?

About how much money will I be spending?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

JG
By nvisn
What are you looking for? An M4 style combat carbine? A match target rifle?

To start you need a stripped lower receiver. Palmetto State Armory has them for $50 from time to time. Add to this shipping and an FFL transfer. This is the registered (serial number) part of the weapon. Everything else you can order online.

You can also get a Spikes Tactical lower at Hoffman's for $99
By sludwinjr
well i guess it depends what options you want and how much do you have to spend........

are you going to buy all at once ot spread it out?
personally i like buying most of my parts at delta arsenal in meriden. i get a discount through brownells and midway but im very impatient and dont like waiting. barrels are sometime tough to find locally. but dough over at delta arsenal usually has mostly everything else in stock and may have barrels.

i can pm you a email you a parts list which may be easier and a tool list you will need as well
By GreggAndrews
Sonofabitch. You'll put together an AR before I do. :lol:

Not an AR nut, but they're pretty much the lego-set of the gun world. Parts pop in, and pop out.

I'm going to build an A1/A2 when I finally plunk down the cash.
By phoffer961
jgoringsbnc wrote:I want to build an AR15 for my next gun project. My question is, where do I start!? I'm fairly new to guns, but decently mechanical, and everyone tells me to build one rather than buy one.

Where should I go or who should I talk to to start?

Also, which parts do you need first?

About how much money will I be spending?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

JG
JG,

Here is the link to my last AR build. It is a good guide to a low cost build!

http://www.ctshooting.com/modules.php?n ... pic&t=6558

As stated above you will need to start with a lower. You can go with a stripped lower and do everything yourself or you can shop for a complete lower. If you go the stripped route you will need a lower parts kit. There are several videos on youtube which show you how to install the LPK. You will need to decide what butt stock you will use. You will need a buffer tube, spring and buffer. Again there are many types to choose from. Just remember if you go with an adjustable stock, you will have to pin it. As far as the upper, unless you have the tools and patients you may want to look for a complete upper including the bolt carrier group and charging handle. This is nice since you can have it sent right to you if you buy off the net and it will pin right to your lower. You can then buy as many rails and toys your bank account can support from sights, scopes, forward grips, lights, and so on. You can spend as little as $600.00 up to whatever you want! Good luck! They are fun to build!
By jkysmrf
The better your barrel, the more accurate.
The cheaper your barrel, the more you have to spend on looks.
By 3319
jkysmrf wrote:The better your barrel, the more accurate.
The cheaper your barrel, the more you have to spend on looks.
Are you still talking about an AR15?
By mberoose
My condolences. :lol:
By jkysmrf
My first AR was a complete Rock River lower on a complete Stag upper and it ran great. The ones I built are also great. A cheap shooter made from all used parts is great as well so far as Im concerned.
By jkysmrf
Whatever you decide, good luck. Don't talk to me I guess.
By skyshark78
check out Bravo Company for uppers I got there 14.5 for $399 with 1/7 twist. Shoots awesome great groups with even crappy 55gr frnagable and their shipping is top notch.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!