Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
I was shooting the Savage FVSR with my typical CCI Blazer 40g HV rounds and noticed some strange bullet drop.
I had the rifle sighted in at 50' and had pinpoint accuracy. Moving outside to 100 yrds still kept a decent group, but seemed to have lots of flyers and I had to dial in a ton elevation to get to POA. I also could not get a decent 100yrd zero I keep having to playing with the adjustments.
It was when I moved out to 200yrds that the real odd-ness started. I was shooting at an 8" gong and to get anywhere near it I had to use ~7-10'(yes feet) of hold over :? Through my scope I could actually see the bullet lobbing out there like it completely lost velocity.
I didn't clean the rifle until tonight, at which time I found something that is the reason I'm writing this....Lots of lead shavings fell out of the compensator. Big chunks in semi-circular shape and they seemed to be falling off the main baffling. I'm going to take a wild guess that some of the bullets are hitting the baffling on the way out throwing accuracy off and as the fouling built up it keep changing the bullet behavior and killing velocity.
I did shoot a few rounds(maybe 10) with no comp, but I didn't realize there might be a problem so I did not "test it".
Thoughts? Does my guess sound right? Should I loose the comp? or Drill the main tube to widen?
By JohnFH
what do you need a comp on a 22 for? Yes it's hitting, without a drill press, I would not try and drill anything. I would check to make sure it's square to the bore second, lose it first :wink:
By Drew
I have heard of this on some of the current AR type .22's. Lead building up in the muzzle attachments to the point it affected accuracy. Same symptoms you describe.

I have a lathe at the day job if you wish to persue that route and you have nobody more local
By GreggAndrews
what do you need a comp on a 22 for? Yes it's hitting, without a drill press, I would not try and drill anything.
YUP! :lol:

Could always cut through with a boring bar... :twisted:
By PaiN
JohnFH wrote:what do you need a comp on a 22 for?
GreggAndrews wrote:YUP! :lol:
I'm very recoil sensitive.... :?

There is no reason for the compensator, except for the fact I really like the way it looks on the rifle....
By JohnFH
Then we have to make sure it is square to the bore, I'll be bored later in the week if you want to drop it by.
By PaiN
JohnFH wrote:be bored later in the week if you want to drop it by.
I'll bet :?
I'll bring some chicken soup with me too :lol:
By PaiN
I sent a message to TS customer service about the comp.....I'll keep you posted on what happens.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!