Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By Kenny007
This would be the most obvious question to follow up my "I'm getting an AR" thread, so here goes.

Anyone know of any competitive deals online or off for bulk .223 ammo? I spent most of yesterday afternoon bumbling around the internet looking for deals, and though there were a few contenders, I'm surprised how expensive ammo has gotten. Really makes me appreciate all the free ammo the army let me shoot! Anyways, the cheapest ammo I can find is of the Wolf brand, which I also happened to see at JoJo's themselves for about $150 per 500. Go online and the same can be found for roughly the same, and up to about $30-40 cheaper. However, Wolf ammo IS the cheapest, and in a world I presume "you get what you pay for", I'm a little hesitant. I'm not worried about a little extra time needed for gun cleaning or anything, or even the most dead-eye ammo out there, but what made me hesitate most was the fact that it was steel cased as opposed to brass. Most reviews for this ammo were positive, but a few said the steel casing could damage the extractor, while other negative ones stated the ammo was EXTREMELY dirty; problem causing dirty...so I'm up in the air over it as a cheap plinking ammo.

Wolf ammo tangent aside, I have found a few decent looking websites, the front-runner being aimsurplus.com. This site currently has 500 rounds of .223 by Centurion for $169, and this ammo has for the most part gotten rave reviews on sites such as AR15.com. It's what I'll most likely be buying first, but any thoughts on ammo brands, places to get ammo, or any other ammo related jargon would be more than welcome!
By CTSixshot
Doesn't seem as though anyone has boxer-primed brass .223 Rem or 5.56x45 for less than 33 cents a round.
There's still some M-193 (55 grain) in my stash, ...mostly Sep 07-production Prvi Partizan (2 ten box packs... 400 rounds) and individual boxes of RA 65, 66, 67, LC 71 on strippers, FC XM556NT1 Frangible.

I no longer shoot .223, so I have plenty of my own reloads, too. Mostly basic plinking fodder with the Remington 55 MC bullet loaded to .223 Rem. specifications. Some with 68 and 70 grain for my old Winchester Heavy Varmint. You'd have to check these for OAL and chambering in your gun. ($ negotiable)

Too bad you missed the 500 pack I had...a lucky fella shooting at High Rock scoffed that up for $180 awhile back. http://georgia-arms.com/cannedheat223re ... 500pk.aspx
Last edited by CTSixshot on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By CTSixshot
Speaking of 5.56 ...
...that's what you can buy GM common stock for today! Hmmmmm!
By PaiN
Wolf ammo isn't horrible...just make sure your rifle will run it before you buy in bulk. Clean after using it(as you should any way)
I just purchased 1000rounds of 62g Wolf from "Cheaper than Dirt" its the best deal going
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemList ... ?catid=110

Also, at Jo-Jo's the 500round brick of Fed. XM193 for $199 is a good deal on good ammo, I picked this up too :)
By JohnFH
ammuntitiontogo.com has the best prices on Mil. Surp. Bulk 55 gr
$330 per 1000. Thats reloadable brass cased.
By CTSixshot
FWIW....the Wolf Gold ammo (no .223 Rem in this line) is Prvi Partizan ('nny' cyrillic headstamp); at least the 7.5x55 and 8mm is.
By hayes1966
Try Aimsurplus for the Privi Partisan .. it works well in my ar's.
By JohnB
yes.. hayes1966's privi partisan works well in my AR's also :lol:
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!