Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By SR9
The suggestion I got actually said put the brush on a drill but I preferred to take more conservative approach to start and work it by hand.
By newguy
Ya drills and me are bad business if i can clean it by hand i feel more comfortable
By JohnFH
Take this for what it's worth but,

If it was a burr in the chamber causing the round to not properly seat in the chamber, then it wouldn't head space properly.

I would believe there is cosmoline in the receiver and possibly still in the bolt, and I have seen that cause issues in the past. Heating the bolt and receiver with a heat gun before cleaning will loosen up any hard packed cosmoline.

As for the round vs hex thing, these are all refinished rifles, meaning that after the war they were turned into the armory and they were cleaned, tested, repaired and made ready for storage for the next war, so any defects in manufacturing the first time, would have been fixed during the refinish. These were battle rifles, do you think a soldier on the line would screw with the rifle if the bolt didn't work properly?
By newguy
Ya i will give it a shot see how it works might be the issue it worth a shot not like it will hurt. I saw article SR9 was talking about they said to use a 45 brass brush then a 45 mop in chamber i will try it
By SR9
newguy wrote:Ya i will give it a shot see how it works might be the issue it worth a shot not like it will hurt. I saw article SR9 was talking about they said to use a 45 brass brush then a 45 mop in chamber i will try it
That was the one, I could not find it(or remember where I saw it) or I would have posted the link. I think I also posted on 7.62x54r.net as well.

I agree with JohnFH, that gooey stuff is really at the bottom of a lot of issues with the Mosin and probably a lot of others. I did exactly what JohnFH suggested when I got my 91/30 a year ago. Unfortunately, I did not do a good enough job and had the sticking bolt issue. Found the problem after a couple of rounds at the St Judes shoot in Meridan in the Spring. After a good cleaning of the chamber it has worked perfectly. It was a good thing that I took down the bolt completely as it was really caked with goo.

I really enjoy shooting it. I am close to getting it sited in. It's about 2in low (probably me) and about 2 inches right at 100yards. Another session with the site pusher and I think it will be pretty good.
By newguy
Ya my Dad loves shooting his too ammo is cheap at least for now. He got his for 50 bucks with a aftermarket ATI stock and bipod. How can ya go wrong for 50 dollars. Not many rifles out there that work for 50 bucks lol
By Mopar
+1 on the cosmo. It's a very common problem with old surplus rifles. I'm willing to bet there is still a ton of it in there. I remember bringing Nvisn to the range once with a milsurp he thought he had cleaned extremely well (cant remember which one it was, he's bought and sold so many! :lol: ) Anyway, I think it was summer, and after a fair amount of rounds downrange in a short amount of time, the cosmoline he had missed was just dripping out of the rifle.

Anyway. the bolt should probably come apart once; no matter how well I've tried otherwise I've always still found gunk in there once I got them apart. The Mosin bolt isnt especially hard, just don't take the extractor out (no need really). If ya want I can send you a PDF of the directions from the old SurplusRifle.com site.
By newguy
Just to let ya know surplus rifle .com is still out there some other guy is hosting it just address is not same anymore
By Mopar
newguy wrote:Just to let ya know surplus rifle .com is still out there some other guy is hosting it just address is not same anymore
That's cool, it was gone for several months and I know the original owner had TRIED to buy it back and failed. As the current owner bought all the copyrights as well as the domain and has in the past been VERY agressive in pursuing violations, whomever is hosting it now is probably gonna be in deep doodoo soon enough. Suggest you save anything from there you want. I copied much of the site back before it was sold (2002? 2004?) because there had been a lot of questions if the site would remain, and if so, would it still be free. The forum users split off on their own site, and the new owner never really did anything update-wise. Too bad, it was a GREAT resource in it's day.
By Mopar
That's the forum that used to be part of the original SurplusRifle.com. It split off on it's own when the main site was sold.
By myglimk2
I started disassembly tonight to remove all the cosmo as best as possible. Also, decided I am going to refinish it. I want a nice looking shooter.
During disassembly though, I found that their was a piece in the buttstock that had broken off and someone repaired it. I was wondering if the Mosin Nagant M44 stocks/parts are interchangable with the Type 53's?
Sorry, if it is a silly question. New to surp rifles. :P
By newguy
I know the receiver is basically the same but it a different kind of wood I think it should fit cus it basically a clone
By newguy
I check link I posted I think they may have some measurements
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!