Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc

Which barrel length?

20"
75%
26"
25%
By bizkitjmd1
So I am going to order a Rock River Arms AR10 and can't decide between the 20" or 26" Varmit barrel. Only going to use it at the range for fun.
By GreggAndrews
If I'm going to have a .308, I might have 6'' extra barrel length. FWIW, 6'' extra of barrel isn't much.
By Drew
Just an informative RRA isnt an AR-10. Only Armalite is. Youll get fouled up using them interchangeably.
A few bits of caution. Ordering can be a lesson in frustration with a long lead time. Better off finding one on a shelf. Item two as there is no milspec 308 AR there are two dominant standards Armalite AR-10 and DPMS LR-308/KAC SR25. If your a guy who likes to upgrade, tinker and such the RRA might not be the best choice. Magazines are also different than Armalite or DPMS. If you already have a stash of FAL mags the weapon is a good choice.

On to your question. If you are shooting a few hundred yards the 20" will be awesome. If your looking to go 1000 yards go for the 26" These weapons get heavy and unwieldy with long barrels imho
By Drew
I try not to plug my sites here but in this case I will. You might find it helpful to browse the forum portion of the site http://308ar.com/forum/index.php
By bizkitjmd1
I know that the RRA isn't an actual AR-10, I just use that term for .308 ARs. I do know about the interchangability issue and am looking for a complete rifle with every thing I want. And it has to be able to use Pmags.
By Drew
No PMAGS with the RRA.
By PaiN
bizkitjmd1 wrote:So I am going to order a Rock River Arms AR10 and can't decide between the 20" or 26" Varmit barrel. Only going to use it at the range for fun.
Not that I have extensive experience with .308 but from what I've read, it is one of the least sensitive rounds to barrel length. You'll probably gain very little performance from the 26" for the extra weight.....plus, those long barrel just don't look right on an AR :?
I'd go with the 20"
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!