Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By PaiN
Most of the day, which started at 0430 when I woke and started thinking about all the information I gathered and all the rifles and ammo I've looked at, shot or studied in my quest for a hi-power rifle. It finally clicked, I actually brought myself back to what I wanted this rifle for and back to why I got into shooting at all. I won't get into all the reasoning but surfice to say it wasen't for target shooting or competition of any kind. That said, once I started shooting I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would and really lost focus, with this hi-power rifle business I was totally crazy.
So with my head freshly on straight, I mentally listed the why's & what's for my rifle. 1. reliability 2. easy handling 3. deadly, inexpensive & common round. 4. utility type weapon(not specialized) 5. synthetic stock. 6. sanely priced.
imo....there was only one rifle that fit this bill, I made up my mind and purchased a:
Ruger Mini-30 7.62x39
I went to Hoffman's tonight to get some Wolf .223(which they were sold out of) to test in the VEPR. I left with a Mini-30, 250 rounds of Wolf 7.62x39, a Cladwell front bag and 1500 CCI .22lr Blazers.
Tomorow is going to be good times. I'm going to side by side shoot the VEPR and Mini-30. I'll be at Bell City between 1130 to 1400.
By PaiN
in case you think I was lying ....hehe :lol: here's some pics

By JohnB
nice, did ya shoot it yet ?
By PaiN
I did some today :? ....I had a pretty good scare too.....but as it turned out the lot of Wolf 7.62x39 that Hoffman's had was bad. I was getting 2-3 fail to fires per five round mag..
Instead shooting I ended up running around to return the Wolf, Hoff's had no other 7.62x39 so I grabbed 2 boxes of Winchester and two of Brown Bear from NGX, raced back to Bell City and got 40min more in before I had to pick up my little one. The new ammo ran perfectly and the rifle is sound

My quick impression is a good one....Its a good feeling gun and by no means inaccurate...no target tack driver but I got very acceptable groups a 50 and 100 yards with irons first time out and with mis-fires galore...
Its just what I wanted
By JohnB
i had a bad batch of wolf once, i had an SKS and the primer blew out..sent the bolt back so hard the carrier tripped over the firing pin and locked the bolt in place, it had enough forward energy to chamber another round..that was nice, i had a locked bolt with a live round in the chamber and it wouldnt fire it out fortunatly there was a guy on the range with enough balls (or stupidity) to slam the bolt on a table 10 times to force it back, i got the round out and took it home to hammer the rest apart
By hayes1966
didn't you just say in another post that you would still shoot Wolf ammo?
By PaiN
I was under the impression that Wolf's eruo. caliber rounds were good stuff, especially this 7.62 WTH? I'd hate to have to use there "bad" cals :lol:

I found some Romanian 7.62x39 124g for $139.00/700 Might as well try it.
By hayes1966
The 22cal stuff is great. I bought some 9mm just to plink with.
By JohnB
wolf is ok, just spotty at times
By PaiN
I dug into this alittle last night and it seems that the "Wolf Military Calssic" can have low primers which is the reason for the fail-to-fire issues like with this Mini-30. (When looking at the duds the primers are low enough to see the difference with the eye) I went ahead and ordered "Wolf Performance Ammunition"(black box) which is better, more consistant quality...I'm stopping at Jo-Jo's to pick some up for the range today, too.
By CTSixshot
Looks like a fine piece, PaiN.
If you met Lou and Judy at the HRG pistol match (they weren't shooting in our group, of course), you might know that they both shoot similar Mini Thirty's. They shoot Federal and/or Winchester fodder, so I get to scoff up all their spent brass.
In the event you ever reload this caliber, you'll note that some Remington loads (maybe all Remingtons...?) use a small primer, whereas most others use a large.

One of the guys from Berlin has a M30 and I think he had grief until he used only one specific brand of magazine; I'll have to ask him for specifics, it may not be an issue for your rifle.
And don't toss that dud ammo, an SKS like mine will no doubt ingest it w/o a hiccup!
Last edited by CTSixshot on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CTSixshot
BTW, you're now all set for two gun matches such as at the Northwest CT club this Sunday! Hint, hint!
By PaiN
CTSixshot wrote:BTW, you're now all set for two gun matches such as at the Northwest CT club this Sunday! Hint, hint!
My dad is coming in this week-end so I'm not sure I'm going to make it up there. I won't be able to compete anyway so I'm not missing much(cept you, of course :wink: )

I shot some of that Wolf "Performance" 7.62x39 from jo-jos today and still had quite afew duds(not as bad as the mil classic....but still :evil:
All other fodder has run fine...I just need to find a fair priced round that it'll eat consistantly
Last edited by PaiN on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By hayes1966
What is happening with the Wolf ammo? light primer strikes? do you have an sks that you could try the bad rounds in before you toss them.

It just seems a little strange that you are getting so many with different batches. I know Wolf is not the greatest ammo (IMHO) but you seem to be having a lot of issues.
By CTSixshot
There was a fella at High Rock with a Rossi single shot, I think it was. I gave him several brands of 7.62 short and he still wasn't getting ignition.
Every round that he nixed went bang in my expensive SKS. What can I say?
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!